A new addition to the family (maybe)

Started by Cassandra, May 22, 2022, 12:24:08 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

She looks like a 'Mabel' in her picture..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, believe me their much appreciated and thank you Hugh for the kind reassurance, the more I get to know her I'm sure your right. The first night has passed uneventfully. 'Doris' (now known as Doh Doh) slept as close as she could get to me all night, with the other two tucked in too! All three of them went outside to their enclosure this morning and followed toilet assembly (she's well house trained, so very fortunate there) and also just fell in last night with the others.

I give them a 'supper' around 10pm which features a knob of freshly cooked chicken each and some twurler treats. Meeting Boris for his breakfast appointment was comical to behold. At first she got quite animated when this large white bird hopped in through the window to perch atop his mixer tap for breakfast. Ears vectored to maximum elevation, seemingly wondrous that this was apparently a routine procedure, as no one else batted an eyelid! We cook up a pan of frozen chicken breasts from the freezer every day and leave them in the fridge so everyone can eat together (now an ensemble of three little dogs and one barn owl). Evening feeds a locally made dog food, served with boiled Sweet Potato, that I boil up in the afternoon. Tillie, who prepares this daily will be quite surprised in the morning by the addition no doubt!

Doris also got some chicken slivers later as she hadn't been eating apparently. Her favourite place seems to be over by the French windows on a foot sofa looking over the lake. A vantage point she shares with Albert on his chair, one for each door now! At this stage of our life, she comes over to me every ten minutes or so, jumping on my lap - as if checking for reassurance that she's still in favour and that everything's still a reality?

Holly actually left her some of her food last night, seemingly amazed at how quickly she'd demolished her own. There's not been a cross word between any of them, although I've been careful to give the other two their usual non-stop conversation and affections too. But their both friendly little people who have no need for angst.

Yvonne (kennel maid) who dropped her off yesterday, popped in this morning just to see how she was? Doris immediately went and hid under the duvet on my bed and we recovered her there shaking. "She thought it was all over I think and I'd come to take her back", she said with tears threatening, "Poor little thing". Eyes rolling and quivering we settled and left her there as Albert had appeared to give re-assurance, he's made me very proud, these past 24 hours, a real gentleman!

Over Coffee Yvonne  related what a good and happy life she'd had with her previous owner becoming very close to her husband who passed away three years ago. The centre is going to contact the lady concerned and show pictures of her in her new setting with friends etc. I showed her round the place and she met the horses, as did Doris for the first time, but took it all in her stride, / Yanks are mostly cowboys and of course cowgirls, at heart after all! :wink:

"No wonder you don't wanna come with me young lady" Yvonne laughed upon leaving - "I sure don't blame yer, no sireee!"

I think my vetting for approval as a 'fosterer' seems in the bag as she left the forms to complete, god bless them, they pay a fee for you providing the service.

They won't be getting them anyway - she's with us now forever and I'll be passing them a good donation too ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Scrumpy

Good on ya Doris.. My kinda gal... :wink:    Be happy.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Cassandra on May 22, 2022, 12:24:08 AM
I support a local Dog Trust who help homeless 'critters'. I was there this morning and was shocked at the amount of young dogs under a year or less who are turning up every day as the 'depression' bites here, with real inflation running near 20%. As a consequence some families are having to give up their dogs - terribly sad.

The young ones usually re-home quite quickly but for those who like us are 'getting on' a bit it's really tough going and the personal trauma they suffer is heartbreaking to witness. This little soul is five and she ran up to the rails of her pen as I passed by, pleading to be picked up, whereas ever since arrival 12 days ago, she'd been sad and listless hardly moving. Quite tiny, as soon as she was on my arm, perched looking over my shoulder she stopped crying. Immediately highly distressed when I put her down and the girls placed her back in a pen, nose up against the wire looking at me so deeply the sight left me haunted. Her owner has had to go in a rest-home following a serious stroke and where pets are not allowed and the parting is causing this little dog terrible stress. The home I support had delayed putting her online as they felt her demeanour wasn't helping and she took no interest when prospective owners were introduced. One of the girls felt so sorry she had her home with her for a few days and said 'She's a beautiful little girl and was wonderful with my kids'. She handed me a pic she'd taken as I left, clearly sensing I too was moved.

So after an afternoon of agonising I've offered to 'foster', and she was dropped off an hour or so ago. Just her a lead, a name tag and an old ball, not much at all. I think she's a Heinz 57/Jack Russell, but I've felt a real affinity, ever since setting eyes upon her and Albert & Holly approve too. They're all playing football just now with a giant tennis ball. Every few minutes though she seeks me out as if to check I'm still here? I have a strong feeling my little colony of creatures has just expanded by one!

Well done you.

I've changed the heading to what I think is a more accurate one.  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

What a great name and what a trooper Albert is !  I love happy endings, well done Doris you've landed on your paws alright  :upvote:

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on May 23, 2022, 12:06:59 PM
Well done you.

I've changed the heading to what I think is a more accurate one.  :grin:

Well done Phil, I nearly altered the reply heading myself to 'The Case is Altered'  :grin:

This morning Doris decided to sleep in, a sign she's settling in and the anxiety of it all these past few days must be quite exhausting. The looks I get from her are priceless and Dogs reflect gratitude like no other creature can.  So Holly and I bussed about with breakfast and Coffee etc whilst Albert stayed with her. Then Boris arrived, with a whole lot of beak-clicking and hopping about and the combinative percussion with meal dishes clattering about bought them all together. Tillie thought someone was staying when Doris saw her in the Kitchen. She then fled back to her Lord Protector 'Albert Cromwell'. Understandably she's very wary of any strangers at the moment ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...