70 years ago

Started by Michael Rolls, May 29, 2023, 08:06:30 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

29TH May, 1953, 70 years ago today, Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary became the first people known to have reached the summit of Mount Everest. Some believe that either Mallory or Irvine reached the summit in 1924 but perished during the descent, something that cannot be proven. Mallory's body was found in 1999 but no way of knowing if he had been going up or down when he died
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Michael Rolls on May 29, 2023, 08:06:30 AM29TH May, 1953, 70 years ago today, Tenzing Norgay and Edmund Hillary became the first people known to have reached the summit of Mount Everest. Some believe that either Mallory or Irvine reached the summit in 1924 but perished during the descent, something that cannot be proven. Mallory's body was found in 1999 but no way of knowing if he had been going up or down when he died
The balance of probabilities would suggest on the descent, as that's when the majority of climbers die.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

does seem a strong possibilty - just can't be proven
[email protected]

Cassandra

All incredibly brave men ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Alex

This will get me shot down but Why ?   Why on earth would you risk your life to climb a bloody mountain ? 

Michael Rolls

Mallory was asked exactly that question before (IIRC) the 1922 expedition. His answer? 'Because it's there'
[email protected]

Alex

Very condescending response !

klondike

Perhaps they should install a funicular railway. It would save a lot of lives. Mind you plenty still walk up Snowden even though there is a railway. I have in the past a couple of times using different routes. I think Everest is a tad more challenging though.

Cassandra

Good idea, people like Schofield could be flung out of it periodically!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

klondike

Only need to do so once if they got it right.

Leaving plenty of time for others like the rapist who burned his victim alive for instance. Or the one who booted his pet dog around. Or each and every politician. Plenty of chances to improve the gene pool. Could even set up an internment centre for the dinghy boys at the top.

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: klondike on May 30, 2023, 09:02:28 AMOnly need to do so once if they got it right.

Leaving plenty of time for others like the rapist who burned his victim alive for instance. Or the one who booted his pet dog around. Or each and every politician. Plenty of chances to improve the gene pool. Could even set up an internment centre for the dinghy boys at the top.

Good idea.  You have been convicted of a serious crime.  If you can successfully climb Everest, your debt is paid.  If you can make it down again, we'll even bring you home.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire