Antiques,

Started by alfred, January 20, 2022, 08:11:16 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

Almost every day there's a show on the t.v where by people either buy to sell  in an auction room whilst others sell privately instead a show like Dickinson real deal,

I wouldn't know the difference between some thing valuable, or something which is a lot of  rubbish,
and so these antique dealers no doubt read up on many past objects and have i suppose a fair idea of the value of an object,

Q; are you good at estimating an objects value when say bought at an auction  or are you like me hope less in not realising anything which has value to say a collector.

Scrumpy

No. I am rubbish.. If something that I like catches my eye then I buy it.. Seldom look underneath to see what markings there are..
Over thirty years ago I was in a little place in Dorset.. The small local church had a couple of stalls outside with various items for sale.. As we stood there a women ,who knew what she was on about, went to pick up a little jug thing.. I don't know why but my hand was quicker.. I casually picked it up and discussed it with Sam and the stall holder.. The (expert) seemed a little agitated waiting for me to put it down.. I didn't and the stall holder was pleased to sell it to me .. The expert , I learned later, was a 'runner'..
I still have that little pink Japanese pot with gold hand painted birds on it.. It is only small and can sit in the palm of my hand..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

I could put accurate values on anything really. I do know if I like an object or not but I doubt there would be a good correlation between me liking something and it being of a high value. For example the comic page I posted about the other day sold for millions of dollars but had I come across it  would likely have been destined for recycling.

Wandering Walter

I am an avid fan of the Antiques Road Show , my favourite show is Salvages Hunters on channel 12 Drew Pritchard he travels the UK and Europe buying stock learnt a lot from watching his show, but not enough to find a genuine Ming vase or whatever at a boot sale :smiley:

What he recommends is if you like something it pleases you buy it sometime he buys something because he likes it which tells him other will also like it and want to buy it.

If you are going to buy, lamps or vases buy matching pairs if you can they look better and should you later sell them two are have more value than one 

Alex

I'm not very good at spotting anything valuable, but if I like it I'll buy it.  That's why my house if full of TAT - mostly other peoples'