When do Christmas decorations come down?

Started by klondike, January 04, 2022, 05:31:13 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Specifically the elabourately festive Christmas and New Year one I crafted as out header just for your pleasure or annoyance depending on outlook.

12th night you shout but it seems that is some religious thing to do with Epithany or some such but the clerics can't make their minds up if that is 5th or 6th January. I see that typically in the UK it is reckoned to be the 5th

Then comes the night bit. Does that meen they come down at midnight tonight, tommorow night or the night after. I'm glad I'm not a vicar.

Jacqueline

I think its always the 6 January the Epiphany.  Ours stayed up until February last year, how many years of bad luck is that?

Scrumpy

I wouldn't leave my decorations up after the 6th..
I know someone who had a sparkly decoration up all the time.. He said he couldn't be bothered to take it down.. His wife left him.. Good or bad luck !! .. who knows.. !!
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

I took my tree down last night, cards and stuff over the fireplace, but I've left this up on the stairs. It was just a bunch of twigs from the garden so I tarted it up a bit for Christmas - think I might leave it up  [2000]

Wandering Walter

Traditionally the 12th night falls on the 5th January for the Church of England, whilst Catholics class the 12th night as January 6th.

Leaving them up for longer is not classed as unlucky ,

This year we went away so no rummaging about in the loft for the tree and babbles and no trying to get the old lights working  :grin:

klondike

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 04, 2022, 07:00:05 PM
I know someone who had a sparkly decoration up all the time.. He said he couldn't be bothered to take it down.
I recall a house near here that had those icicle lights fixed up on the guttering in summer. I'm guessing they only get turned at Christmas though.

Nobody has said yet when I take them down here. I'm a devout heathen if that helps.

Scrumpy

Take 'em down.. Take 'em down.. Down, down ...
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

klondike

I'll get shot of it then.

Christmas has departed for another year.....

GrannyMac

Tomorrow.  They'll all be gone for another year.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Too late....

It's unlucky to put them back up.