Drought?

Started by Michael Rolls, August 24, 2022, 07:35:28 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

I think that there can be no more savage indictment of the lack of strategic planning for a vital commodity - water - than what we have seen in the last few months. Whilst parts of the country (by which I mean the whole of the contiguous island of GB) have suffered drought and hosepipe bans, elsewhere it has been much of business as usual. Today is the 235rd day of the year - up here rain has fallen on 116 of those days. Although I don't have the figures, I would not be in the least surprised if further north and west the figure is even higher.
Only three times this year in this area have we had a period of more than 7 days without rain (10 days 19/1/22-28/1/22, 11 days 19/4/22-29/4/22, and 12 days 3/7/22-14/7/22). Instead of wasting money on frivolous schemes like HS2, the charge to net zero, over indulgence on relying on 'renewables' sorting out the distribution of water would actually benefit the nation
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Fortunately Mother Nature, in time, sorts out our weather (problems)..
  The sun will hide behind the rain clouds and the rain will fall..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

sorting out the distribution of water would actually benefit the nation

Pity water was privatised then. With no national authority that won't be happening any time soon.

Ashy

I think we are between a rock and a hard place. Had the Nation retained the water industry, there would be no money for improvement work.

To be fair Thames Water, hosepipe ban incoming, has since privatisation, built an enormous underground reservoir and built a new ring main round London. (Causing tremendous disruption fir the duration) and now recycles recovered water. The money spent on HS2, which has all gone down the drain, is just more government waste for no significant advantage.