These energy charges are nuts

Started by klondike, December 23, 2022, 12:21:44 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

I used to pay £82 a month for gas and electric and that built up this surplus..

On 23rd Nov 2022 Your balance was above zero: £511.11

These are the current bill admittedly including a lengthy cold snap

22nd Nov 2022 — 21st Dec 2022
Electricity - £73.60
Gas         - £173.06

Admittedly there was a £500 Winter fuel allowance and £67 monthly credit from HMG but...
Only half the house has any heating on and that at a lower temperature than it was. I wear a fleece at all times and certainly aren't sweating.

I don't doubt that Mike wishes his bills were that low and don't have any problem paying but the increases have been swingeing - Electric from about 13p a unit to 33p and gas from 3p to 10p both with big standing charge increases.

Couple that with inflation declared at 10% but from observation grocery shopping is at least 20% and sill with weekly increases.

Then look at taxes - highest since WW2.

Is it any wonder that there are lots of people going on strike?

Never mind the 2024 election. Can the government survive this winter?

Sheila

I love my heated throw and so does the cat!  He lies on top of me and I pull the throw over him.

Diasi

In Dec 2021 we used 300kWh of electricity & 1257kWh of gas with a bill of £92.61p & the house was heated to 18c upstairs &  downstairs.

By our billing date of the 25th Dec 2022 we'll have used around 167kWh of electricity & 560kWh of gas & it'll cost us around £150 & the house is heated to 14c upstairs & 12c downstairs.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

I've switched off the little monitor thinggy, I don't want to know what heating has cost when I was trying to get the pipes de-frosted.   Mañana   :grin:

Diasi

Our billing period has just renewed today so our bill for the month to the 23rd Dec will be

Electricity £ 72.97

Gas         £ 67.41

Total       £140.38 - £66.00 = £74.38 which will come from our credit balance of £312 so our DD payment will be zero again.

I'm hoping that the £66 + our credit balance will sees us through to April when we won't need the heating on.

This winter is the first time I've ever calculated what our energy bills will be.  :downvote: 

"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: Diasi on December 24, 2022, 03:09:00 PMOur billing period has just renewed today so our bill for the month to the 23rd Dec will be

Electricity £ 72.97

Gas        £ 67.41

Total      £140.38 - £66.00 = £74.38 which will come from our credit balance of £312 so our DD payment will be zero again.

I'm hoping that the £66 + our credit balance will sees us through to April when we won't need the heating on.

This winter is the first time I've ever calculated what our energy bills will be.  :downvote: 

I was a bit out as the billing date was extended for December & I ran the heating at a higher temperature on the last couple of days.

Our electricity usage was £85.87 & our gas usage was £78.13 = £164.

So that £78.13 for gas just kept the house at a temperature that requires me to wear outside clothing the whole time.

Needless to say, the heating is back down to 12c / 14c.
[email protected]

klondike

Looks like mine was double that but I don't fancy getting frostbite.

Diasi

We've just had our January energy bill & it's £136.22p, of which £91.94p is electricity & £44.28p is gas.

With the £66 grant & our credit balance we haven't had to pay anything again & we've probably got enough credit balance left to pay for next month's as well.   
[email protected]

1955vintage

My bill for December was £414. Gas was £271, electricity £143. Standing charges were £15 elect, £9 gas.

Usage charges are 9.9p gas and 32p elect , which is up from 16p elect and 3.2p gas in October 2021.

Do I think someone is ripping me off?
Yup.  :wtf: :boo: :waiting:
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Jacqueline

My latest monthly electric bill is £126.15, it was given in two halves up to 31 December then 1 - 22.  I usually use much the same each month and I reckon it has gone up by about £20, but won't really know until next month.

It's the oil that has gone up the most, I put away £130 a month but will need t increase it.  I seem to be getting though it quicker but of course it's been so blooming cold, and I am still cold with the heating hiked up to 21 degrees, I seem to be feeling the cold more this year than ever.

morty

My electricity account has been frozen intil it's investigated.

My last bill was . for some reason, only for 11 days ,Jan 1st to Jan 12th, and was for £93.00 ( all electric) which for a small one bedroom flat I thought was exorbitant when I only have 2 storage heaters on the lowest setting to keep the flat at a comfortable 58F ... and I wear an extra jumper and woolly knickers. £300 a month for a small 1 bed flat is extortionate.

I've had nothing but trouble since last October. My meter had to be investigated then because my meter is one of those first generation smart meters. When I moved into my flat in July 2019 it was working as an ordinary meter and I read it manually.
Then last October ... it was remotely activated without my knowledge and my bills went haywire.
I'm getting good at complaining thesedays.  :sad:

January 29, 2023, 06:30:40 PM
I notice you guys are quoting your December 2022 bills .... mine went up again in January 2023. Has yours?

Jacqueline

Morty, Yes the second half of my bill is what shot it up by £20, I think the price cap (which makes no sense whatsoever, it's the unit price and standing charge that you need to know) went up on 1st January that's why the increase.  Will be interesting to see when the next bill comes along.

I hope they sort out your meter, you expect the smart metre to be accurate that's the point of it.  Your not the first person I have heard having trouble with their meter though.

morty

And whilst it's under investigation they still sneakily slipped in the suggestion that I go on Direct Debit so I don't fall behind. :waiting:

In their dreams .. I pay cash ..once a month at the Post Office.
I'm a bit of a dinosaur.

Dayjo

We are with Octopus. Same as Klondy.
 The thermostat is kept at 21*, 24/7, all year round.(I have to be warm at all times)...
Paying, £88.13 per month. The January balance is -£13.27.

What are we doing right. Compared to everyone else?  :hmm:
As you slide down the banister of life.
May the splinters never point in the wrong direction.