12 inches =1 foot.

Started by Scrumpy, May 31, 2022, 01:44:58 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on May 31, 2022, 08:31:23 PMI see. As I said before my time.

There is a direct conversion between HP and watts from memory it's ~ 750w is 1HP. Outboard motors get rated in HP still as are some lawnmower engines or at least they used to be. Not sure about the fancy ones you ride.
Looked it - never could remember 768W - 1bhp. My mower is, from memory - raining too heavy to go and look, is I think 15 bhp
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on May 31, 2022, 08:39:29 PMActually looking at the ones in the link I dug up his is the 77kWh one. He only got it in November. I think it still gets better than 3. We go to his boat fishing most Saturdays during the season and have only spent any time talking about it when I've been in it on fishing days. He calls it his dog eater as they are made in Korea but seems to really like it.

The other difference is that town driving doesn't take so much of a toll on economy as it does with internal combustion engine cars. I think it's the regenerative braking that helps and yours will have that too.

Yes, it does. One irritation - the display has two meters- one shows the overall mileage - just coming up to 5,500, the other I reset every week. Both show total mileage and how much of it was achieved on electric power - always between a third and a half of the total - except the overall meter somehow managed to reset itself a week or two back and now claims only about 350 of the 5,500 miles were on electric, whereas before it managed to reset it showed over 2,000 out of 5,000
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

The firmware for these cars will all be  fairly new and new usually means buggy.

Here's another nutty electric car fact. As you know an automatic in D with the engine running will creep unless you hold it with footbrake or handbrake. There is absolutely no reason why this should happen with an electric but my sons at least and probably all still does so. I'm guessing the firmware is set up to make them as close a driving experience to internal combustion as they can achieve.

I don't know how hybrids actually work. If all the drive comes from the electric motor and the ic engine just charges the battery then the same applies to them. I imagine they may well work that way as it has to be simpler but that doesn't stack up with the two mileages unless the ic just stops and only runs when the battery drops below some preset level.

Michael Rolls

I read (most of) a long article in Wiki and am now more confused than ever. All I know about mine is that you can actually hear and sense the IC coming in at low speeds, but above about 15 mph you can't hear it except under hard acceleration as wind and tyre noise  tend to blot it out from my admittedly pretty poor hearing
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

I must read up on it (technology fascinates me). As I see it there are two options - you either have a standard electric car set up (which I don't know in detail) and the IC runs an alternator to charge the drive battery or you have and IC and an electric motor and some mechanism for mechanically merging the outputs. The first sounds simplest to me.

Michael Rolls

pretty sure mine is the second - you can feel - at parking speeds - the engine cutting in and the creep speed increase fractionally
[email protected]

klondike

This https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/how-do-hybrid-electric-cars-work#:~:text=Hybrid%20electric%20vehicles%20are%20powered,by%20the%20internal%20combustion%20engine

says 
Transmission: 
The transmission transfers mechanical power from the engine and/or electric traction motor to drive the wheels.

So it does seem both IC and electric get combined. I'm a little surprised as I would had thought that was more complex. My O level woodwork has let me down again.  :worried:

Michael Rolls

The Wiki article I mentioned got my head hurting in no time!
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

I might read something more complicated later. I just wanted the Janet and John version (aka executive summary) to check which basic design type was actually used.

crabbyob

i think you will find we are stuck with the metric as this has been taught at schools for about fifty years