Had enough walking Dad

Started by Cassandra, November 10, 2022, 03:14:19 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

I can't remember Dageus ever being that small. :smiley: He was bigger than that the day we got him. This was taken his first evening with us, tired out after playing with his new toys.
556905_389739217727898_292121152_n.jpg

Cassandra

Super picture and a lovely memory He's just wonderful, a cuddly big chap with a face that says it all. We, who truly love our special friends are so lucky while we have them, to share all their antics in life and the bitter sweet memories that live on forever after their gone.

Unlike yourselves, I'm relatively new to horses, but likewise truly appreciate just spending an evening (night) with them. Wrapped up in a bunk in the stables with a book (Kindle) to read  and the three dogs snuggled under the blankets. Mostly waking up about 3am and then just turning over till the morning. Everyone seems to enjoy these 'sleep overs' - except Tilly god bless her. She arrives about 8am and comes running down from the house to check on me, returning with coffee and toast and a chiding! 'You get your death a cold out here Judge, mmm hmmm, you see if Tilly not right!" Then a few Tch, Tch's and mumblings about 'not right, man his age sleeping in a damn horse box, no sireee!'
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Raven

I love the sound of your new life style, though I must admit I've never slept in the stable. I have however spent nights in the barn during the Lambing, if help is needed.

Alex

Sounds like Tilly has your back  :upvote:

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on November 13, 2022, 02:07:10 PMSounds like Tilly has your back  :upvote:

She's a truly lovely lady, very kind who reminds me of the Matron at our school in 1955, stern on the surface but so kind beneath. She worked for my home's late, owner who sounded a rather lonely and withdrawn chap. All the creatures who call this place home are extremely fond of her too and they are also good judges of human nature.

Cassandra

Quote from: Raven on November 13, 2022, 01:16:35 PMI love the sound of your new life style, though I must admit I've never slept in the stable. I have however spent nights in the barn during the Lambing, if help is needed.

I must admit it's 'developed' quite a bit in the last year! We now have a fully fitted kichenette, a chest freezer and then 2 horsehair sofas with matching rockers I got at a local auction. Some settle seats from a closing chapel up county. A log burner, TV and bar area are also established it was centrally heated when I got here and I've converted two of the attached stable blocks now into self contained apartments for when people come to stay, like my two friends from England recently.

I must have the right idea as the increasing number of visitors have contributed richly to the stocks of local 'moonshine' etc readily available on the burgeoning number of optics in the bar! One who owns a local brewery donated all the fittings and got his chaps to fit them for our own brand of draft beer, kegged and stored in the small cellar and named 'Bulldog'!

When I was a child I loved sleeping in a tent in our garden and somehow this has the same feeling of adventure about it, even at 76! But recently during the fireworks of Halloween I know my horses and dogs all appreciated me being out there with them. Especially little 'Ethel', who shook uncontrollably for two hours and the young horse also, for whom it was a new and frightening experience.

Stable Block copy.jpg

Scrumpy

Cassandra... You have hit the jackpot...
To be surrounded by wonderful creatures and 'visitors' popping in..

I have slept in a few places in my time.. The worst being a cold railway station .. out in the sticks.. A big double bed with a few others (all clothed)... But never in a stable with scrummy pets...
Oh to be younger.. I would be 'popping in'  too..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

Very posh looking stable block, ours are an old converted barn lol. Does the job though.

Scrumpy

Raven....  Ahh !! It's not what you have sweetheart..
It's about being content with what you have..
Our 'First' shed was a pallet leaning up against a brick wall.. Just enough room to park a bike..  A strong wind soon 'sorted' the 'shed' out..

Raven

Oh I'm quite content lol, it used to store all sorts of things untill the Clyde's arrived. It was turned out and cleaned up in a hurry for them, they are happy with it and settled down quickly. 

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on November 14, 2022, 09:24:40 AMCassandra... You have hit the jackpot...
To be surrounded by wonderful creatures and 'visitors' popping in..

I have slept in a few places in my time.. The worst being a cold railway station .. out in the sticks.. A big double bed with a few others (all clothed)... But never in a stable with scrummy pets...
Oh to be younger.. I would be 'popping in'  too..

You'd be most welcome. The house is new, but the stables and boathouse were from a much earlier property apparently and were a bit overgrown when I bought it. It took a deal of finding and I'd never have got that lucky had it not been for my family out here, knowing it's history and negotiating for me etc. I don't think of the stables as posh and didn't mean them to appear so. They were run down and overgrown upon my arrival and I was surprised how quickly a young team of local students restored them for me on their vacations and weekends - money well spent and to which end I'm most grateful. Also the furniture etc I've put inside is deliberately very 'relaxed'. It's just somewhere to spend my Autumn years however long they last, with my animal friends, American cousins and genial neighbours who have welcomed me amongst them with such great kindness ...

Scrumpy

You are a lovely modest man...
Can you imagine your local ' friends' seeing this English woman who nods and smiles in the right places.. collapse in a fit of the giggles and drops the odd swear word.. !!!

Cassandra

Quote from: Scrumpy on November 15, 2022, 09:20:29 AMYou are a lovely modest man...
Can you imagine your local ' friends' seeing this English woman who nods and smiles in the right places.. collapse in a fit of the giggles and drops the odd swear word.. !!!

Irene, they'd love you. Contrary to many exaggerations the 'Brits' are accepted in the almost exclusive majority with great affection. They love our different dialects and I can only again refer to the kindnesses and social inter action here by all. There is a 'special relationship' between the people, that fortunately is not inclusive of 'Politicians'!

1955vintage

An American lady I met said she loved watching us eating, our table manners were far superior to theirs.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Cassandra

Quote from: 1955vintage on November 15, 2022, 05:08:35 PMAn American lady I met said she loved watching us eating, our table manners were far superior to theirs.

I agree they usually only ever use the fork I've noticed. Indeed they do have a Fork with a cutting edge to one side.