Main Menu

Reform UK

Started by klondike, May 25, 2022, 07:48:46 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

I made a couple of donations to the Brexit Party. As a result I get emails from Reform UK. I agree with many of  the sentiments but with our electoral system these people are just banging their heads against a brick wall. Will we be forever in the grasp of two big parties neither of which appear to be able to tackle any of the issues we face?

. Taxes at their highest levels for 70 years
. Average household energy bills set to rise to £2800 from October
. Inflation predicted to exceed 10% in the next few months
. NHS services increasingly "out of reach" to people across the UK
. Shortages of basic foodstuffs on the way
. Illegal Channel crossings likely to triple to over 70.000 this year

After 12 years of Conservative governments,  - this is "where we are" in 2022.

The Conservative party's plans for our future?
- "Build Back Beaver", by replacing 30% of our productive farmland with trees (making us even more reliant on imported food)
- and force us to replace efficient gas boilers, with inefficient heat pumps (typically costing around £20,000 to install).

Labour's answer to all these enormous problems?
A "one off" Windfall Tax on energy companies.
That's about it.

Jacqueline

Anybody who votes for the main political parties is raving mad, they have let us down big time. its time for a new party, the old ones have had their day.

Flying Bomb

Two main parties will always rule in our system, unless the people were at revolution pitch. 
Not likely to happen as we Brits are a docile lot.

Michael Rolls

It took Labour, from its formation in 1900 over 20 years to come into power in a couple of minority governments led by Ramsay MacDonald. There is no way, given our present electoral system, for a new party to achieve anything with the possible exception of holding the balance of power in a hung Parliament - in the same way that the wretched Scottish Greens give the SNP a working majority. There is history to that, of course - Cameron in 2010 and the Lab-Lib pact - can't remember the date off hand - but in each case the junior party didn't really get to wield much power, and the 2010 coalition ended up being very bad news for the Lib-Dems.
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

There was a referendum on a form of PR as part of the price exacted by the LibDems for that coalition. It was roundly defeated. I voted against it myself as the way it was constructed would have ensured the LibDems were in government in perpetuity as a minor partner in government.

GrannyMac

I don't have a clue which way the country will go politically.  I don't feel any connection to politics at present, Boris, who I've supported, has shown little regard for his own rules. The new CEO of Sheffield Council, Kate Josephs, is still suspended due to her role in Partygate when she was leaving Downing St to take up her new job!  Looking at her credentials when she was appointed, I had hopes that the city might move forward, but its not looking likely.

I think a lot of people feel politically disconnected, concern about rising costs and inflation will be the main worries.  Especially for those that are on lowish incomes, but not quite low enough to be included in the extra help given to others on means tested benefits. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

I strongly suspect that only those receiving universal credit or pension credit will get any help at all. There will be a pretty large group above the threshold for those who will be trying in vain to afford something that might help here..'

hugh

The war in Ukraine pretty much changed every thing. Tree planting likely to be stopped so we are able to grow more food. Depending on other countries for grain the war as been a wake up call.

Every thing you mentioned very likely to be a problem for any party which happened to be in power klondike. Cost of living we will shortly know what been planned which they have waited till after the Sue Grey report.
Happy Golfer

GrannyMac

Rishi to the rescue.  £300 for pensioners, part of £15bn spend to help the economy.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Quote from: GrannyMac on May 26, 2022, 09:41:36 AM
I don't have a clue which way the country will go politically.  I don't feel any connection to politics at present,
:check: :check: :check:

hugh

Boris about to make the biggest mistake as PM, buying off the railway unions. opening up a big can of worms. Never thought he would be so stupid.
Happy Golfer

Alex

Quote from: hugh on May 26, 2022, 05:37:24 PM
Boris about to make the biggest mistake as PM, buying off the railway unions. opening up a big can of worms. Never thought he would be so stupid.

Well he's no Maggie Thatcher is he !!!

klondike

He's more of a bloody LibDem than...

Might up crying too.

hugh

Never thought I would say this, but I really feel his days are numbered. To me he his not a conservative. He seems to be spending all his time, trying to make himself popular with everyone 
Happy Golfer

Raven

That will be a long time coming.... If ever.  :shh: