80th Birthday.

Started by Diasi, March 20, 2024, 06:06:49 PM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Today I've told my family & a friend that I do not want my 80th birthday recognising in any way shape or form & I've asked them all to respect my wishes.

Has any other member felt the same about reaching 80?
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

Not there yet but I'm not one for celebrating any birthdays.

At least this forum isn't set up to send any emails at all.

GrannyMac

I have two years to go, but I probably will do something.  However, it's your birthday, your choice!

If anyone insists on presents a donation to one of your favourite animal charities perhaps? 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

I'm not there either, but the thought of being 80 fills me with dread !  Can I still get my highlights done ? Can I still wear make-up and lippy ?  what about clothes, will I be forced to wear pearls and a twinset ? then there's crimplene trousers.........  :yell:  :yell:  :yell:

You do your own thing Phil, it's your day !

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on March 20, 2024, 07:26:10 PMI'm not there either, but the thought of being 80 fills me with dread
That's exactly my feeing which is why, for me, turning 80 is nothing to celebrate.

To me 80 is the door to official old age.

79 doesn't sound too old but 80 sounds ancient.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

muddy

Quote from: Alex on March 20, 2024, 07:26:10 PMI'm not there either, but the thought of being 80 fills me with dread !  Can I still get my highlights done ? Can I still wear make-up and lippy ?  what about clothes, will I be forced to wear pearls and a twinset ? then there's crimplene trousers.........  :yell:  :yell:  :yell:

You do your own thing Phil, it's your day !
What a horrible scenario ! 
Pearls and two sets  went out with the ark .
I and not yet eighty but fully intend my numerous pairs of jeans to last me until then 😀

GrannyMac

I think getting to 80 in reasonably good health is to be celebrated.  There are a couple of over 80s in my exercise classes (not chair aerobics 😁) and they don't wear old lady crimplene!

I'll continue to have my nails and hair done, and I don't go to the door without my lippy! 

muddy

I never wear lipstick just hate the feel of that grease on my lips .

klondike

Quote from: Diasi on March 20, 2024, 08:11:16 PMTo me 80 is the door to official old age.
I first felt old when I was nearly 50. I had moved away from permanent employment and started contracting. I took a contract with a company I had worked for years before. I was showing a sweet young thing there how to go about debugging an error - essentially using a pile of paper with the memory content printed in hexadecimal called a core dump. At one point she asked how I knew "all that stuff" and I realised the reason was I'd been working with "all that stuff" before she was born.

GrannyMac

I felt old when my daughter hit 50!  😂

Scrumpy

HAPPY 80TH BIRTHDAY TO YOU ... PHIL...  :yahoo: :clap: :yay:

Hope you enjoy your cake...   :smug: (not)  :nooo:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on March 21, 2024, 08:12:34 AMHAPPY 80TH BIRTHDAY TO YOU ... PHIL...  :yahoo: :clap: :yay:

Hope you enjoy your cake...  :smug: (not)  :nooo:
:upvote: It's just on the actual day I don't want it recognising.

I didn't want a do when I was 60 but 'they' arranged one.

They also bought a nice watch which I just left in it's box & have never worn as it would remind me of a day I didn't want.

P.S. I've just taken it out of it's box & reset the time, it's a Seiko that has a battery which is charged by the motion of it being worn.

No rude comments about what's the fastest way to charge it.  :grin:
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I'll call you later and sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY in my Marilyn Monroe voice..
That will cheer you up..   :grin: :grin: :grin:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

[email protected]

ansu

Happy birthday to you, Phil.
Never forget - age is only a number, what's important is how you feel. 
I am 80 years old and I decided to do something special on my birthday, i.e. I went on a trip to Regensburg to listen to a concert of the Regensburger Domspatzen. 
My 70th birthday I celebrated on a cruise to the Caribbean, but to be honest for such an excursion I felt a bit too old. 
Here in Germany we use to do something special on a so-called "round birthday".
So, just enjoy the day and do what you love to do - every day is precious - regardless of whether you are 20, 80 or even 90 years old!