Main Menu

Salt

Started by Sheila, April 05, 2022, 06:56:28 AM

« previous - next »

Sheila

We went out for a meal last night and had a couple of (very expensive) sirloin steaks.  The steaks were excellent but everything was covered in sea salt.  When the waitress came to ask if everything was ok, I said it was too salty and she said that was the way they do it there!

A similar thing happened a few days ago when we had a meal in a pub.  The salt on the chips was enough to bring tears to my eyes.  Am I in the wrong to think that I should have the choice as to whether or not I want salt on my food?

Michael Rolls

It always irritates when that sort of think is done. No excuse - it's downright bad manners
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Yes, I don't like over salted food either.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

If you like the place maybe next time when you place your food order you could ask for no salt to be added. I certainly would, then if they do I have an excuse to grumble and complain.

klondike

If I go anywhere to eat and there is anything wrong with the food I don't go back. As it happens I do like salt but would expect to add it myself. Even Maccy D stopped serving pre salted chips.

1955vintage

Seasoning is a personal taste, but arrogant chefs think they know best. I do not like too much salt, just the way my palate has developed.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

-Oy-

Quote from: klondike on April 05, 2022, 10:02:53 AM
If I go anywhere to eat and there is anything wrong with the food I don't go back. As it happens I do like salt but would expect to add it myself. Even Maccy D stopped serving pre salted chips.

I'm sure Maccy D still slat the chips round here!

Gonna have to visit and sample from all three local ones now to find out. Thanks  :clap:
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Michael Rolls

Quote from: -Oy- on April 05, 2022, 11:13:11 AM
I'm sure Maccy D still slat the chips round here!

Gonna have to visit and sample from all three local ones now to find out. Thanks  :clap:
It's a tough job, but someone has to do it!
Mike  [2090]
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

Sheila you could always rate them or comment on Trip Advisor.   I don't like too much salt either, next they'll be taking away the S & P pots from the tables !

Sheila

Yes, I have been thinking about doing that Alex so that people are warned about the salt and can ask for their food without it. 

Scrumpy

It annoys me if there is no salt or pepper on the table.. I find food is sometimes bland without it.. However I do not enjoy food that is too salty..
Chips cannot be eaten without salt.. IMO.
I have noticed that M&S do not add salt to their egg and cress sandwiches .. they are tasteless.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

-Oy-

I can confirm that my nearest McDs does add salt to the chips. I asked about it and they said they stopped doing so a while ago but almost every customer then came back asking for salt. The default now is salt - but you can ask for them without. I also tried the new "Plant Burger" - no amount of salt would make that thing tasty!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."

Alex

I do love egg and cress sandwiches !   Years ago we used to go to a little cafe for their 'special spread ' butties and managed to get the recipe from them ! 
4 hard boiled eggs
5 spring onions
3 slices of good ham, salt & Pepper
1 tablespoon Salad Cream
1 tablespoon Branston Pickle
it was all chopped up, looked yuk but tasted delicious !  thought I'd throw that in there..... :clap:

klondike

Quote from: -Oy- on April 06, 2022, 12:46:45 PM
I can confirm that my nearest McDs does add salt to the chips. I asked about it and they said they stopped doing so a while ago but almost every customer then came back asking for salt. The default now is salt - but you can ask for them without. I also tried the new "Plant Burger" - no amount of salt would make that thing tasty!
Thanks for the research  :smiley:
I haven't been in a Maccy D for quite a while now so maybe missed them restarting pre salting. I can't eat chips without salt so I'd have been one grabbing the little sachets and probably adding more than was on them before so there would be zero health benefits for me and I suspect none for anybody else either.

Raven

Quote from: Alex on April 06, 2022, 01:54:27 PM
I do love egg and cress sandwiches !   Years ago we used to go to a little cafe for their 'special spread ' butties and managed to get the recipe from them ! 
4 hard boiled eggs
5 spring onions
3 slices of good ham, salt & Pepper
1 tablespoon Salad Cream
1 tablespoon Branston Pickle
it was all chopped up, looked yuk but tasted delicious !  thought I'd throw that in there..... :clap:

Thanks, I'll give that a try, always looking for something new for sandwiches.