Under cover

Started by Scrumpy, May 02, 2024, 07:28:01 PM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

We had terrible storms most of the night.. lightning went on and on..

It made me think of my mum..
Every evening she would put a cover over the tv.. 
I have no idea why..

She would not stand at the sink washing up or have a bath during a storm..
And her curlers had to come out..

Such a simple life.. No gadgets.. And neighbours talked over the fence and at the front gate..

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

I talk to my neighbour over the back fence, their little boy is a real cutie! We put their bins back when they're at work.

I remember covers on TVs!  Never understood why.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

My Dad would always unplug the telly, and a cover went over the mirror !  :grin: 
We 've had a really hot day here but no signs of a storm - yet 

klondike

Brings back memories. I think my parents still unplugged everything when there was a storm right til the end. Covers got left out of it earlier though.

Mups

Quote from: Alex on May 02, 2024, 08:00:01 PMMy Dad would always unplug the telly, and a cover went over the mirror !  :grin: 
We 've had a really hot day here but no signs of a storm - yet 

Gosh Alex, that took me back.   When we were kids, I remember my Mum  used to cover the mirrors too.

muddy

I still unplug the telly 

Mups

Quote from: muddy on May 02, 2024, 10:00:45 PMI still unplug the telly

Yes,  me too.   Especially if the storm is close by.

Do we need to unplug computers and radio's too, does anyone know?   :hmm:

dextrous63

On the subject of TV's, my father was a hoarder of many things.  He repaired TVs for a living and so had amassed a significant number of televisions.  To cover all of them in the event of a storm would have taken longer than it would have taken for the storm to pass🤣🤣

klondike

Quote from: Mups on May 02, 2024, 10:10:34 PMDo we need to unplug computers and radio's too, does anyone know?  :hmm:
A nearby lighting strike will probably destroy most things that are plugged in. Regardless of any surge protected sockets. It may even wreck your house. Having things plugged in will not make any difference to the chances of a lightning strike. Aerials might be worth unplugging but if they get struck a bust TV is likely to be the least of your problems.

I've never bothered.

Scrumpy

I don't unplug anything.. 
Many years back we had a terrible storm .. Daytime became night.. The airport got shut down... A flash of lightning went across the kitchen and hit the fridge.. I don't think it was affected in any way..
 I do not have an outside aerial, which I am pleased about..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

The light may have lit up the fridge but I guarantee that the lightning didn't hit it. Lightning carries a huge amount of energy. I'm alway careful walking anywhere near churches. Just in case.  :grin: