Since records began!

Started by Michael Rolls, December 31, 2021, 09:32:30 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

It always amuses me when some message of doom and gloom regarding the weather is 'the worst since records began' – and then you find that the records in question started less than a hundred years ago – often a lot less.
Just to add to it. We came up here in2003 and I was surprised at how more rain we had than in Surrey. I knew it would be wetter, but not by how much – not a complaint, by the way, just a fact, and up here more than makes up for it in other ways.
So, from the start 0f 2005, I have kept a note of days upon which it rained – nothing complicated, no measurements, just yes/no.
To my surprise, until 2021, every year we have had rain on more days than not. Now, however, even though 2021 is giving a last kick by raining today, this is the least wet day 'since records began  :rofl:' and the first year in which rain days are in the minority – 179 or 49% (for comparison, the wettest year was 2011, with rain on 225 days – 61.6%, almost two days in every three)
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Jacqueline

It feels like it hasn't stopped raining here in Wales for months, but we had a very dry summer but I have found that the weather evens itself out.  It was a similar story last year, dry summer wet winter.

I don't know much about weather patterns, but looking back in history it seems there has been some marked variations.  The Romans were growing Vines much like we are today, there were mini ice ages, the Thames iced over so thickly  as to hold Ice Fairs upon it.  Our weather is a living changing thing, how much is global warming or not I really don't know, but like Mike in Scotland, we sure get our more than fair share of the rain.

Mike, I am going to start a weather diary too, will be interesting to see if it does rain as much as I think it does

Michael Rolls

The planet's weather is cyclical - always has been, always will be. True over millions of years, not just since homo sapiens arrived. True, many of our activities don't help, but to think that we can have a major advantageous impact is arrogance beyond belief
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

Blast it. I'd left the PF window open, went to my weather station link, accidentally found your identical post there, composed a longish reply, hit post and up came that wretched moderation popup warning. I couldn't copy my post and was unwilling to post there  :cry:

The gist of it was why not get a weather station. Mine current one cost less than £200 and uploads the data to a choice of internet sites. I picked wunderground which being Americad defaults to Fahrenheit. I set C in my login there as I've been brainwashed into using that over the years. Now instead of converting from C into something that I isnsinctively know I actually know C better. Damned Frenchies. Although looking him up I see he was Swedish.

Anyhow...

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/INORTHAM95

Michael Rolls

I'm too idle for that, but thanks for the thought.
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

The fun was in getting it working. I rarely bother to look at it and even less often look back at historical stuff online.

Alex

I've got the weather on my new phone and of course it says "London " but I've sorted it.   Yippee...... [2000]

Raven

Quote from: Alex on December 31, 2021, 12:30:11 PM
I've got the weather on my new phone and of course it says "London " but I've sorted it.   Yippee...... [2000]

I use the BBC Weather App and it uses your location. You can also store other Towns/Villages in the favourite locations. Very handy and no London in sight......unless you want it.  :smiley:
I've just taken a screenshot of my weather, so you can see what I mean.

Michael Rolls

I check that app every morning, using my post code. Must say it isn't terribly accurate
Mike
[email protected]

Raven

I find it ok Mike, never used a postcode for it. :hmm: It sits on our village's location and if I drive to Thurso or any other place it changes as my location changes. I like it. :smiley:

Michael Rolls

it's better than nowt, but due to the hills, weather here is very localised. Drive 2 miles and it can be totally different
Mike
[email protected]

klondike

I use a paid app called Ventusky because it gives a lot of detail which comes in very handy for fishing trips. I used to have one that was good as it would tell you if it was going to rain in the next hour or so and it was spot on. It got bought out by Apple and is no longer available on Android. I forget the name of that one.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.ackee.ventusky

Although Ventusky has an annual fee it never actually costs me anything as I use another app. Do the odd very short survey - often just the one question and get a few pence to maybe 60p credited to your Play Store account.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.paidtasks

Which has just reminded me of something odd with that which Ill put in its own thread,