being thrifty,

Started by alfred, January 14, 2022, 08:09:27 AM

« previous - next »

alfred

Although over the years my wife had collected a small box of buttons, mainly taken off shirts and blouses and anything where the buttons might replace missing ones on a shirt, trousers , skirt or anything else ,
i suppose being thrifty, of course that was a while ago ,

how ever are you a thrifty person, be it anything to which you might use as a replacement.

Q; if so what did you collect for some future event,
and will you tell us about it .

Scrumpy

I am not at all thrifty.. I'm a waster..
However, because goods /foodstuff was harder to come by during lock down I started watering down my Fairy Liquid..  I find myself still doing it..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

I'm a hoarder of things 'that might come in useful'. The last time that actually happened Boris Johnson was a schoolboy - and still had messy hair
Mike  [2080]
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 14, 2022, 08:22:43 AM
I started watering down my Fairy Liquid..  I find myself still doing it..
You can get that pre-done for you from most supermarkets.

Alex

I've got a button box an idea inherited from my Mum.   I also water down Fairy liquid, but as klondike says with other brands you don't have to  :grin:  How about this for tight - I cut Brillo pads in half  :cool: :cool:

Jacqueline

Quote from: Alex on January 14, 2022, 10:59:32 AM
I've got a button box an idea inherited from my Mum.   I also water down Fairy liquid, but as klondike says with other brands you don't have to  :grin:  How about this for tight - I cut Brillo pads in half  :cool: :cool:

Actually Alex that is not a bad idea, you use them they go all rusty when kept so no good for another job, may as well have a new bit each time.

I have a button box, but sods law is it never contains the actual button you need.

Wandering Walter

I never throw anything away that may come in handy , an appliance the fails pull it to bit screws nuts and bolts out of it or if the plug is not sealed keep the old plug , towels and tea towels that are old saved for cleaning the car, bathroom towels I cut up smaller for wiping my hands when fishing then bin them.

My Mum used to save the butter wrappers kept in the fridge to grease baking tins , also brown paper and string elastic bands, paper clips etc 

Michael Rolls

I still think my mum discovered the ultimate. This was before she was married. An elderly aunt died and mum and one of her sisters were deputed to sort out the old girl's things. Under the bed was a cardboard box, bearing the legend 'pieces of string too short to use'. And that's exactly what it contained!
Mike
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I do agree about cutting Brillo pads in half.. but surely it would blunt your scissors.. !!

Alex

Not that I;ve noticed Scrumpy  :cool:

klondike

Quote from: Michael Rolls on January 14, 2022, 12:48:41 PM
Under the bed was a cardboard box, bearing the legend 'pieces of string too short to use'. And that's exactly what it contained!
Mike
Now that is funny. My grandparent did similar but they economised further by not wasting a label.

klondike

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 14, 2022, 03:26:57 PM
I do agree about cutting Brillo pads in half.. but surely it would blunt your scissors.. !!
Don't use brillo pads but those green coarse woven plastic (i think) sheet scourerers which are known here as "Scratchy Joes" for no known reason are too big to use full size and get cut in half.

Wandering Walter

Wife buys the metal scourers that are ball shaped , they last for ages and don't scratch the pans

Michael Rolls

Quote from: klondike on January 14, 2022, 06:13:54 PM
Now that is funny. My grandparent did similar but they economised further by not wasting a label.
I'm sure it was just written on the cardboard box
Mike
[email protected]

Scrumpy

I use a Brillo pad on glass doors of shower.. They are the best thing for removing water marks..