Alexa

Started by Alex, September 27, 2023, 09:27:48 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

I've broken my DAB+ radio and have been looking for a new one.  Spoke to my friend tonight and she's bought herself an Alexa thinggy !  she can play lots of music on hers and gets radio too. Can anyone tell me advantages/disadvantages if I go for an Alexa too, bear in mind I haven't got a clue how they work.   :grin:

klondike

Amongst other things it will play internet radio stations on request. That probably means most of them. Once it is set up you just say ALEXA play [radio station name] and ALEXA stop to shut it up.

The advantage over a DAB radio is it can do other things and you aren't dependent on the station being a decent signal where you live. It needs WiFi and external power so you can't take it out with you and it will need putting somwhere it can get your home WiFi.

To find out what it can do you could just ask it or sites like https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/tech/what-can-alexa-do will tell you at least some of the things.

I have one with a screen that works with my Ring doorbell.

Alex

It all sounds a bit complicated, so if the internet goes down you've no radio ?   My friend was an IT trainer recently retired, so this all comes easy for her. :rolleyes:

klondike

Yep no internet no Alexa. When did your internet go down last? All you need do is tell it what to do by talking to it.  I thought most women were good at that  :grin:

Michael Rolls

I have the ultra reliable BT internet - goes down several times a week, but switching the router off and back on again restores things. If one has a smart TV you can get radio on that - I use it to listen to Test Match Special
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: klondike on September 27, 2023, 10:46:28 PMYep no internet no Alexa. When did your internet go down last? All you need do is tell it what to do by talking to it.  I thought most women were good at that  :grin:
Careful...

Both my kids have Alexa, I think its great. They use it for all sorts, weather, recipes, reminders, odd bits of info, music - just ask for a song, and radio.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Quote from: Michael Rolls on September 28, 2023, 04:08:45 AMIf one has a smart TV you can get radio on that - I use it to listen to Test Match Special
TVs use a hell of a lot more electricity than a radio or for that matter a smart speaker. It may only be a few coppers an hour but for those who have the radio on all day in the background those coppers can add up.

Scrumpy

I have an Alexa.. It isn't complicated Alex.. 
She will play any music you ask for.. Answer any question you ask her and answers when yo say 'Thank you'.. 'Good morning'.. 
Oh yes .. she will inform you when Amazon are going to deliver.. 

Having said that, I used to love my old red radio..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on September 27, 2023, 09:27:48 PMI've broken my DAB+ radio and have been looking for a new one.  Spoke to my friend tonight and she's bought herself an Alexa thinggy !  she can play lots of music on hers and gets radio too. Can anyone tell me advantages/disadvantages if I go for an Alexa too, bear in mind I haven't got a clue how they work.   :grin:

Alex, make sure its a Dab plus in the UK, many progs now utilise the 2nd network frequency and it's a better reception too. I don't have Amazon's Alexa. Over here the armed forces are not allowed them in barracks or ships as reportedly they can be overheard, rather like a microphonic bug. Wouldn't bother me, but my pals here are always shouting at their TV's and radios as Alexa seems to be a 'fickle' servant!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Alex

My lad has looked at my radio, he put new batteries in and it's going.  Looks like it's the place you put the cable in I've cream crackered  :rolleyes: So for now I'm using batteries, until I can decide......which may be some time as it takes a while to decide what I'm having for dinner !  But thank you for the input  :upvote:

klondike

Won't be all that long. DAB radios chew batteries a lot faster than the old analogue ones.

Alex

Do they ?  :rolleyes:  I switch it off when not in use, rather than 'standby'

klondike

All you can do is suck it and see but one I had certainly didn't run for very long.

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on September 28, 2023, 02:11:12 PMWon't be all that long. DAB radios chew batteries a lot faster than the old analogue ones.

Don't they, I only ever use mine on a mains converter (110v) over here of course. Its expensive and inconvenient changing the blasted things. The re-chargeables are virtually not worth inserting.

Blamed on Brexit of course!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Alex

Well it's here !  Alexa that is  :grin:  so far so good. :grin: