Air Fryers

Started by Alex, November 30, 2022, 04:11:52 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

I thought this might come in handy for anyone who has recently acquired an air fryer.

Cassandra

I'm thinking of getting one, a small 2 litre, simple little old thing via Amazon for when I'm alone weekends, when 4 mins in the microwave is about my limit if Annies not around, or I want some fries at 3am! Only problem is Micro's drown chips and hamburgers or sausages.

Am I right in thinking these 'air-fryers' don't because they cook with essentially 'dry-heat'?

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Ultimate-Pressure-Dehydrate/dp/B08YS614RJ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1CN84ODFJGHS0&keywords=air%2Bfryer%2Bwhite&qid=1669828710&sprefix=air%2Bfryer%2Bwhite%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-3&th=1
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

klondike

I use this one for my Ninja....

Bacon. On raising wirey thing. Grill 240c 6 mins then look every 30secs

Anything else. Roast in black bucket thing 185c 20 mins

Seems to work

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on November 30, 2022, 05:35:07 PMI use this one for my Ninja....

Bacon. On raising wirey thing. Grill 200c 6 mins then look every 30secs

Anything else. Roast in black bucket thing 185c 20 mins

Seems to work

Yes thanks the bacon in a microwave has to be shrouded in paper and still comes out like a wash leather shrouded in a fat sodden packet!

klondike

You can get ridged things that get very hot  in microwaves that are supposed to be able to cook bacon but I have no idea if they really work. Maybe somebody here has tried one?

Cassandra

Quote from: klondike on November 30, 2022, 06:16:01 PMYou can get ridged things that get very hot  in microwaves that are supposed to be able to cook bacon but I have no idea if they really work. Maybe somebody here has tried one?

I've tried that and after five or six rashers they came out looking like some wafers that I once left in a shirt pocket, following a wash and spin at 40 degrees! :sad:

Alex

2 litres seems a little small Cass, say you want to cook a few chips with your bacon.  OR a baked potato with your pork chop ?  I've just cooked chicken breasts which I coated with Panko breadcrumbs, very tasty crispy but moist. :upvote: You won't regret buying one, but sometimes Size Matters  :grin:  :grin: 

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on November 30, 2022, 08:11:25 PM2 litres seems a little small Cass, say you want to cook a few chips with your bacon.  OR a baked potato with your pork chop ?  I've just cooked chicken breasts which I coated with Panko breadcrumbs, very tasty crispy but moist. :upvote: You won't regret buying one, but sometimes Size Matters  :grin:  :grin: 

Thanks Alex for the advice, I've ordered a 3.6 litre version instead, I thought about a 5 litre, but knowing me these days, I'd probably put my washing in it :wink:

Alex

:grin: That'll be much better Cass, my old one is 3.5 litres but my new one is 5.7 l from Costco, this is good if my gang turns up  :grin:  Took me a bit to realise that ' broil' is the same as grill  :grin:  :grin:

Cassandra

Quote from: Alex on December 01, 2022, 03:48:02 PM:grin: That'll be much better Cass, my old one is 3.5 litres but my new one is 5.7 l from Costco, this is good if my gang turns up  :grin:  Took me a bit to realise that ' broil' is the same as grill  :grin:  :grin:

I guess i'll only use it as I said weekends, or for one of those 3am 'Fridgeraids' accompanied by 3 expectant dogs as company! So I thought 3.6L litres would be enough for say a beef-burger or a medium plate of fries. I've got Annie to guide me through, who already has one and swears by it, although like you with a visiting family has the 5L version! I prefer gallons as a measure and 3.6l to me that's three-quarters of a good old fashioned imperial one. I'll let you know how I get on when it arrives :cowboy:

Sheila

Thanks Alex.  That's a useful chart.

JBR

We have a Ninja air fryer which Marge swears by.
I think it may have cost us around £140.

Today, she received a message from some of our friends who have just bought one, but of a different brand.  It was offered by Aldi for about £35!
Apparently, they have been flying off the shelves.
I have no idea how good they are, but there have been some very good reviews.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

I probably went over the top getting a Ninja. It also had a pressure cooking function which I used with some complicated recipe when I first got it but I've settled down to the two simple ones I mentioned.

There are also things called halogen cookers which do pretty much the same thing as the hot air fryers and Ninjas.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on December 01, 2022, 06:18:06 PMI probably went over the top getting a Ninja. It also had a pressure cooking function which I used with some complicated recipe when I first got it but I've settled down to the two simple ones I mentioned.

There are also things called halogen cookers which do pretty much the same thing as the hot air fryers and Ninjas.
I agree about the cost, but to be fair Marge uses it far more than our full-sized oven and apparently (I'm no expert) we could use it for many such things and even ditch the oven!  We'd keep the microwave oven, though.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire