Forums & Free Speech

Started by Diasi, December 21, 2021, 01:28:23 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

As it stands it costs me nowt extra which fits my nature. Hmmm is it racist to wonder if that's why Lumbago Sciatico didn't like me?

I like doing projects like this as it stops my brain from ossifying. Mostlyit is just monkey see monkey do from stuff on the web anyway with the odd cursing and hair pulling finding out why things aren't working as they should.

The usual problem with running your own mailserver is that stuff sent from it gets treated as spam and mail either goes directly to the spam folder or doesn't get delivered at all. I've found a tutorial that supposedly gets around that so will have a play and see if the little pi can take on another task.

Michael Rolls

If it does come to it, I would be very happy to lob in a bit of funding
Mike
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

klondike

It really isn't necessary. There is no cost at the moment and I enjoy the challenge of keeping it that way. As I expected the demands of the forum are tiny and don't tax the pi in the slightest - look at the stats at the bottom of each page *footnote  on the time that page took to create. The problems that PF is having are nothing to do with the load that the forum places on the server it is that the server is probably hosting thousands of other sites.

I have used free hosting for my own personal sites - the reason I gave up on that and setup the Pi as a webserver in the first place was the limitations placed on what I could do - for instance I would not have been able to have it run the regular stats downloads and backups that the pi does. To get an SSL certificate I would have needed to use the free Cloudflare one which means using their DNS instead of the domain name registrar's ones I do now and that rules out doing things I use like forwarding email addresses. It also used to have periodic outages. I don't think they were as bad as PF sees but I only occasionally use my stuff once in a while - not like a forum reading and posting session.

I tried twohosters the first being https://www.000webhost.com/#feature-table I was less than impressed when this happened https://www.zdnet.com/article/000webhost-hacked-13-million-customers-exposed/ and even less inpressed when I found that they had been storing passwords in plain text on their servers. I'm not sure if that was because they are idiots or to save the piddling amount of processor time using encryption costs.

*footnote For the initial post - Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.
So at least 10 such pages could be handled per second or possibly 40 as it has 4 cores. It might get a bit warm doing so I suppose.