British Gas? More like British Gestapo!

Started by Michael Rolls, February 03, 2023, 05:40:35 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

The boss of British Gas owner Centrica has said he is horrified that debt collectors have broken into customers' homes to fit prepayment energy meters.

The Times found debt agents working for British Gas expressed excitement at putting these meters in the homes of vulnerable people behind on bills.

"This happened when people were acting on behalf of British Gas. There is nothing that can be said to excuse it," Chris O'Shea told the BBC.

The firm will stop such installations.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

An appalling way to deal with vulnerable people.  However, if companies have increasing numbers who won't pay, then who picks up the bill?  We do, and 'we' are not all well off.  Two similar households with the same incomes can live very differently, expensive debt, fags and alcohol seen as necessities, before rent, gas, electric, water etc. 

There's been a lot of financial help for the very poorest over the winter, aimed at paying for essentials like heating, food etc. Not everyone will prioritise their spending on the 'unseen'. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

1955vintage

People on pre paid meters should be paying the lowest rate , if you pay in advance you pay less surely.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Diasi

Quote from: 1955vintage on February 03, 2023, 08:43:53 AMPeople on pre paid meters should be paying the lowest rate , if you pay in advance you pay less surely.
And who then pays for the very expensive pre-payment infrastucture of top-up points in thousands of shops?

February 03, 2023, 08:51:39 AM
Quote from: Michael Rolls on February 03, 2023, 05:40:35 AMThe boss of British Gas owner Centrica has said he is horrified that debt collectors have broken into customers' homes to fit prepayment energy meters.

They haven't broken into people's home. They entered by means of a Court Warrant empowering the installation of the pre-payment meter.

Why should all the other British Gas customers bail out the feckless who put paying for their energy usage at the bottom of their list of priorities.

They'll probably be the same people who are behind with their rent.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Diasi on February 03, 2023, 08:46:33 AMAnd who then pays for the very expensive pre-payment infrastucture of top-up points in thousands of shops?

February 03, 2023, 08:51:39 AMThey haven't broken into people's home. They entered by means of a Court Warrant empowering the installation of the pre-payment meter.

Why should all the other British Gas customers bail out the feckless who put paying for their energy usage at the bottom of their list of priorities.

They'll probably be the same people who are behind with their rent.
well in that case why did the CEO say they broke in and why has the practice been stopped?
Mind you, I agree with your general cooments
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Sheila

We are with British Gas and I think that their website is designed to confuse so that we have no idea what is going on.  

Raven

Quote from: 1955vintage on February 03, 2023, 08:43:53 AMPeople on pre paid meters should be paying the lowest rate , if you pay in advance you pay less surely.

I've been saying that for years. In my own home in Perth there were Pre payment meters when I moved in. I kept them and I like them, I hated the energy companies having access to my bank account, to help themselves to what ever they wanted, and yes they did, I was left with nothing to live on one month, it took ages to sort it out and get it refunded and they even argued over that, they wanted me to have the amount in credit to my meter. It wasn't until I threatened them with court action for theft that they backed down.

Diasi

Quote from: Sheila on February 03, 2023, 09:30:08 AMWe are with British Gas and I think that their website is designed to confuse so that we have no idea what is going on. 
We're with Shell Energy & we find their website is extremely user-friendly, transparent & honest.

If pre-payment meters are banned for the financially feckless who are in energy debt, what do the whiners suggest should happen?

a: cut off their energy supplies?

b: allow them to not pay for their energy & get me to pay it for them?

I already help to pay the insurance premiums for the idiots who live alongside a river & then show surprise when they get flooded.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Diasi

It costs the energy companies far more to operate the pre-payment system than it does to supply me with gas & electricity for a month before I pay for it by variable DD.

That's why pre-payment energy is the most expensive, you're paying for that service.
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: Diasi on February 04, 2023, 08:33:51 AMWe're with Shell Energy & we find their website is extremely user-friendly, transparent & honest.

If pre-payment meters are banned for the financially feckless who are in energy debt, what do the whiners suggest should happen?

a: cut off their energy supplies?

b: allow them to not pay for their energy & get me to pay it for them?

I already help to pay the insurance premiums for the idiots who live alongside a river & then show surprise when they get flooded.
We're with Shell too, and found them straightforward. When they suggested raising our direct debit to a higher level than we wanted (we were £400+ in credit) I rang them and they agreed to let us just increase a little.  No forced changes, and I can see our usage, bills etc. 

You're exactly right about the extra costs involved in PP meters.

Scrumpy

Many of us are ( struggling) at this time.. 
We have all had help from the government towards the rising costs.. With this help I find that I am able to cope..
However , I have to be sensible and use my heating wisely..
I dress according to the temperature... be it indoors or outside.. I go to bed earlier to watch the tv or read.. 
The cost of living has risen for us all so, I only buy what I need, when I need it.. and I use all of the food.. I have been extravagant in the past.. throwing away good foodstuff..
 There will always be those that 'can't  manage' and RELY on others.. Always has been and will continue  to be..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

Scrumpy I think a lot of our generation know how to manage. We appreciate little extras, and have less sense of entitlement than many younger people who have grown up not knowing deprivation. Like you, we've dressed warmly, and appreciated the help from government towards heating costs. Especially as we get few extras as we're not on means tested benefits.