Is the brown stuff heading for the fan?

Started by klondike, January 05, 2023, 10:02:33 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

This story is France but I have noticed some own brand items simply missing recently so suspect production of those may have stopped or supermarkets are simply stocking more profitable lines.

Major French Food Company Shuts Down 80 Per Cent of Production as Soaring Energy Costs Make Factories Uneconomical

Cofigeo, a group which owns several food companies in France, has shut down four of its eight factories over energy costs, amounting to 80 per cent of its total production.

Cofigeo owns several French food brands including William Saurin, Garbit and Raynal and Roquelaure and has announced it has shut down four of its eight French factories, affecting 800 of the company's 1,200 workers due to soaring energy costs.

The move was initially made on December 6th but came into force on January 2nd and sees plants in Capdenac, Pouilly-sur-Serre, Camaret-sur-Aigues and Lagny closed and production halted, the newspaper Le Figaro reports.

"This decision aims to cope with the spectacular increase in its energy costs (gas and electricity necessary for cooking and sterilizing cooked dishes and recipes), which will be multiplied by 10 from the beginning of the year," the group said in a statement this week.

Full story: https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/01/04/major-french-food-company-shuts-down-80-per-cent-of-production-as-soaring-energy-costs-make-factories-uneconomical/

Cassandra

An eminent Italian polymath turned Economist 'Vilfredo Pareto' revealed in 1850 that in most businesses 20% of the stock provides 80% of the turnover. His principal known as 'Pareto's law' is today recognised as a significant factor in financial modelling. These so called fast moving lines are what Tescburys and the Tories favourite place 'Waitrose' are now concentrating upon I guess, as indeed Walmart et al are attempting to do over here.

The problem is the big own brand discounters (Aldi, Lidl) are hardened to this low choice shopping arena over many decades and are much better at it than their rivals who are deservedly losing ground fast!

Never mind, theres 000's more consumers arriving everyday via Dinghyrama, so there should be plenty of hungry mouths and arseholes to go round soon in an all encompassing marketing approach ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on January 05, 2023, 10:02:33 AMThis story is France but I have noticed some own brand items simply missing recently so suspect production of those may have stopped or supermarkets are simply stocking more profitable lines.

I've noticed this in Morrisons, they've stopped stocking the small 568ml bottles of milk which means I have to decant half of a bigger bottle & freeze the other half until I need it.

With the way things are going I'll be downgrading myself from comfortably off to just about managing.

:grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

I'm the same, we can't get pints of milk anymore and no half cucumbers. I find it exasperating and have moaned like mad in the shops about it. Dunc doesn't take milk and doesn't like cucumber, so it's like buying for one.

Ashy

That's a coincidence, I don't take milk and don't like cucumber. Could there be a connection?

Cassandra

But very soon, coming to a Waitrose, Tescbury's etc near you the ability to readily consume 'Bill Gates' packaged locusts and also get some 'social points' on your 'digital currency card'. You know it makes sense and every little hairy leg helps.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...