Thin Ice.

Started by Raven, December 11, 2022, 09:16:09 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

I hope the kids recover, it says there were six on the ice but they've only pulled four out.  :worried:  :shocked:

BBC News - Four children fall into icy lake near Birmingham
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-63938673

Michael Rolls

very worrying - hope they recover OK
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Diasi

A classic example of Darwin's theory of natural selection.

It takes a high degree of stupidity to walk on ice that's only had a couple of days to form at just below freezing.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

klondike

A high price to pay for a mistake though. Last I heard they were all classed as being in a critical condition. There was talk of there possibly being at least one more that they hadn't got out.

Just checked Mail is saying 4 still critical and 2 missing.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11528041/Six-children-plunged-ice-frozen-Solihull-lake-Two-feared-dead.html

Scrumpy

It is all very sad.. Heartbreaking..
We all , as children, did stupid things.. 
I am sure there were adults around.. If there were , it is they that should have known better..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on December 12, 2022, 09:43:14 AMIt is all very sad.. Heartbreaking..
We all , as children, did stupid things..
I am sure there were adults around.. If there were , it is they that should have known better..
That's today's problem in a nutshell, remove all responsibility for the children's actions from the children themselves.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Anyway, it is too late for  'Shoulda ' Woulda' Coulda'  ..

December 12, 2022, 11:04:04 AM
Quote from: Diasi on December 12, 2022, 10:58:19 AMThat's today's problem in a nutshell, remove all responsibility for the children's actions from the children themselves.
I agree.. a bit..
 It must , surely, depend on the age of the children and the circumstances..
 Temptation plays a big part.. and we have all been tempted at some  time to do something that we shouldn't have.. but enjoyed..

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Yep. That's why a lot of us were born...

Raven

Gawd, What a Christmas their families are going to have. Heartbreaking. If the pond is prone to freezing surely there are big warning signs up saying to stay off the ice. Nearly all the ponds and lochs here have them.

klondike

There may be here but freezing conditions are less common. That may have been a factor too.

klondike

It seems that 3 of the 4 taken to hospital have died. Ages 8 10 and 11. The fourth age 6 is still in a critical condition.

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

Read that the police were punching the ice to try and break it, and get to the kids. They must be feeling so bad too. Something like this will haunt those officers.

Alex

Something bad always happens just before Christmas, their parents must be devastated.