Are EVs Becoming Less Popular.

Started by Raven, Today at 08:09:48 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

I've said right from the start I didn't want one. Are more people feeling that way now do you think?

BBC News - Is the move to electric cars running out of power?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-69022771

klondike

Yes the sales growth has fallen a lot.

Early adopters all have them
Nobody will  buy a secondhand EV
Removal of subsidies
Slow build of chargers
High cost of commercial chargers
Inconvenient for long journies
Increasing insurance costs - more so for EVs than ICE
Much dearer than ICE even with massive manufacturer subsidies
Increasing awareness that the "climate crisis" really is a lot of hot air

The planned phase out of ICE cannot happen without some huge changes that are unlikely to happen. Even if it did the grid couldn't cope - the energy density and energy produced by fossil fuels is huge and renewables can't make up the shorfall in the time available (or probably ever) Nuclear is going to be needed for sure as fossil fuels run out.

My son has one for driving to work. That saves him money. He also has a diesel though. Just as well as sometimes the overnight charging fails - it isnt 100% reliable and in the main getting diesel is. When getting diesel may be a problem is known about in advance too because it is usually strikes.

The one my son has is PCP. The car's value now is already well below the residual the PCP provides so he'll just hand it back and the problem will be the finance comany's. Repeat that for most PCP contracts and they will either no longer be offered or at far less favourable terms,

JBR

Absolutely.
Electricity generation will never become completely reliable, regardless of how many more windmills they insist on building.

Quite apart from that, you list several other reasons why EVs will never replace ICEs.

There is also the possibility that the government, or one of their successors, will eventually realise that achieving nett zero is as likely as stopping the Earth rotating.  I believe that one day, hopefully in the not too distant future, the woke politicians will eventually realise their stupid mistakes.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

Quote from: JBR on Today at 09:39:11 AMThere is also the possibility that the government, or one of their successors, will eventually realise that achieving nett zero is as likely as stopping the Earth rotating.  I believe that one day, hopefully in the not too distant future, the woke politicians will eventually realise their stupid mistakes.
Except that the first rule of thumb in politics is to never admit you've made a mistake.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Cassandra

The callous mob methods of the Globalists apply. The manufacturers are being compelled to produce them solely by 2035, (2030 a la Starmer). By a range of interlinked international legal consequences for NOT resorting to market force demands they have to produce these hideous, substandard creations. The builders face bankruptcy at present so they are fully on board to support green backed lies. Thats how 'TeamWorld' works.

EV's are unsafe, have no established trade in value, except reliably zero, weigh in obesely, have piss-poor range achievement and without monstrous subsidy, very little market penetration in the private sector. An 'expert' on GB news said the other day that sales were up 20%, year on year. How these people (Quentin Wilson is another one) can bend reality in this way, without challenge is yet another example of 'false news'.

Unsold cars are piling up world-wide, compounding the oncoming Economic epoch.

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

ansu

In our today's paper I read that you should thoroughly check whether you want to spend your holiday in Greece, if you are the owner of an electric car. You have to be ready for many surprises.

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on Today at 03:42:29 PMThe callous mob methods of the Globalists apply. The manufacturers are being compelled to produce them solely by 2035, (2030 a la Starmer). By a range of interlinked international legal consequences for NOT resorting to market force demands they have to produce these hideous, substandard creations. The builders face bankruptcy at present so they are fully on board to support green backed lies. Thats how 'TeamWorld' works.

EV's are unsafe, have no established trade in value, except reliably zero, weigh in obesely, have piss-poor range achievement and without monstrous subsidy, very little market penetration in the private sector. An 'expert' on GB news said the other day that sales were up 20%, year on year. How these people (Quentin Wilson is another one) can bend reality in this way, without challenge is yet another example of 'false news'.

Unsold cars are piling up world-wide, compounding the oncoming Economic epoch.
You are perfectly correct, of course, and I am convinced that despite all the enthusiastic messages put out by the government, the majority of British people will not buy them for the reasons you state.  The only encouragement which induces some people (including next door, who have one with a home charger) is the fact that little or no road tax is payable along with other probable 'benefits' which persuade them to participate.  I haven't asked for 'next door's' opinion, but I assume that he only travels and works locally, so an electric milk-float would probably be all he needs.  Wait until he tries to sell it!

Incidentally, I am encouraged to hear that GB News seems to be watched 'over there'.  It is, of course, the only news programme for me, because it is the only one I believe.

Diasi

Quote from: ansu on Today at 05:02:37 PMIn our today's paper I read that you should thoroughly check whether you want to spend your holiday in Greece, if you are the owner of an electric car. You have to be ready for many surprises.

Today at 06:07:31 PM
Quote from: JBR on Today at 05:56:37 PMYou are perfectly correct, of course, and I am convinced that despite all the enthusiastic messages put out by the government, the majority of British people will not buy them for the reasons you state.  The only encouragement which induces some people (including next door, who have one with a home charger) is the fact that little or no road tax is payable along with other probable 'benefits' which persuade them to participate.  I haven't asked for 'next door's' opinion, but I assume that he only travels and works locally, so an electric milk-float would probably be all he needs.  Wait until he tries to sell it!

Incidentally, I am encouraged to hear that GB News seems to be watched 'over there'.  It is, of course, the only news programme for me, because it is the only one I believe.
I've long said that an EV is little more than a luxurious shopping trolley.

Stripping away all aspects of so-called man-made climate change in a decision to buy an EV, the pool of private drivers who can afford £40,000 upwards for a new EV is quite limited.

And the same pool is very limited for those who can afford to buy a second hand EV & replace the batteries for £10,000 upwards.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Ashy

Technically if they are selling more than are being scrapped or exported, then EVs are becoming more popular. just that the initial enthusiasm for the product may have declined.

JBR

Quote from: Ashy on Today at 07:19:40 PMTechnically if they are selling more than are being scrapped or exported, then EVs are becoming more popular. just that the initial enthusiasm for the product may have declined.
Well, it's a free country (at least for now).  If people want to buy them, they can do so.  I just hope they think carefully about it first.

Incidentally, as I was walking down to the middle of our 'village' I once again remarked to the wife that I have still never seen anyone, not a single person, using the charging machines in the car park.
I think it is completely logical not to do so, because there are only a few shops here and why would anyone put their car on to charge, which would take quite a long time, when there's no other reason to stay here for that long.

The other thing is that these two machines have effectively taken over the space of four or five parking spaces.  I bet they'll be gone next year!

dextrous63

Quote from: Ashy on Today at 07:19:40 PMTechnically if they are selling more than are being scrapped or exported, then EVs are becoming more popular. just that the initial enthusiasm for the product may have declined.
Not necessarily the case.  One has to consider the growth rate of new drivers in comparison with the rate of purchase of EV's.

But, even having said that, you might still be right.

Michael Rolls

I have always decried the idiocy of 'net zero'. Unless we are willing to accept a considerable reduction in our quality of life it just can't happen. My current hybrid - bought under duress because Ford had discontinued what I actually wanted, a petrol 5 door Mondeo - is OK, but I am confident when it comes to change it will, in real terms, get a good bit less for trade-in than of yore, so much so that I am going to keep it for longer than usual (I normally change before the MOT is due) and smile grimly at what I am offered.
No idea why that appeared twice!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Michael Rolls on Today at 07:34:17 PMI have always decried the idiocy of 'net zero'. Unless we are willing to accept a considerable reduction in our quality of life it just can't happen. My current hybrid - bought under duress because Ford had discontinued what I actually wanted, a petrol 5 door Mondeo - is OK, but I am confident when it comes to change it will, in real terms, get a good bit less for trade-in than of yore, so much so that I am going to keep it for longer than usual (I normally change before the MOT is due) and smile grimly at what I am offered.
No idea why that appeared twice!
I suppose that one advantage of hybrids is that when the batteries do die a death, at least we'd still have the petrol engine to keep it going.
Yes, the inclusion of batteries and an electric motor can make the cars more 'economical' to drive, but when the batteries do give up, we'd be driving around carrying an unnecessary heavy load and consequently using more petrol.
That's what put me off buying a hybrid, and the place where we bought our car three years ago was pushing them even then.

Michael Rolls

on the weight question, as I have mentioned before the socking big battery - which takes up a third or more of the boot space, and the fact this car has a 2 litre engine to cope with the weight, mans that it weighs 4 cwts more than its 1.5 litre predecessor and whilst the acceleration is reasonable it is noticeably down of the earlier car - just as well I'm not a boy racer!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]