No room at the inn

Started by klondike, December 19, 2023, 09:03:54 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Galway hotel fire: Gardaí believe blaze at premises due to house 70 asylum seekers started deliberately
(no shit Sherlock)

A suspected arson attack has wrecked a hotel in County Galway that was being prepared to host 70 asylum seekers, in the latest sign of a backlash against refugees in Ireland.

The Irish government on Monday condemned the burning of the Ross Lake House hotel in Rosscahill as a sinister attempt at intimidation.

However, two councillors from the ruling Fianna Fáil party said government policy had inundated Ireland with refugees and driven people to take drastic action – a view once confined to fringe far-right groups.

Protesters picketed at the disused hotel on Saturday, replicating a tactic that has blocked other attempts to settle refugees around Ireland. At 11.35pm a blaze broke out at the rear of the hotel and engulfed the property before fire services extinguished the flames. Nobody was inside the hotel or injured. Seventy male asylum seekers were to have moved there on Thursday.

Leo Varadkar, the taoiseach, said there was no justification for violence, arson or vandalism. The minister for integration, Roderic O'Gorman, said the blaze was "deeply sinister" and dangerous. "It was designed to intimidate people seeking international protection here in Ireland," he told RTÉ.

An increase in refugee numbers in recent years has coincided with a housing crisis and fuelled hostility to asylum seekers, especially males. Sporadic arson attacks have targeted accommodation centres, and protests with placards saying "Ireland is full" have blocked roads. In September, a raucous rally outside the Dáil briefly trapped lawmakers.

A knife attack that injured three children and a carer triggered a riot in central Dublin last month after the attacker, a naturalised Irish citizen, was identified as originally coming from Algeria.

The government coalition, comprised of Fianna Fáil, Fine Gael and the Greens, and opposition parties have said Ireland has a duty to welcome and accommodate refugees.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/dec/18/suspected-arson-attack-wrecks-irish-hotel-house-asylum-seekers

Are the Irish ahead of us or will we still Keep Calm and Put Up With It?

Scrumpy

If the government don't take positive action..  the people will .. 
 England will follow suit when it gets intolerable.. and it's becoming that way.. 
It will bring out our 'yobs'  ..  So be it.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

Galway is in the Republic. They are in the EU, so their own government need to take action. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on December 19, 2023, 10:07:41 AMGalway is in the Republic. They are in the EU, so their own government need to take action. 
I hope they do, and set a fine example to our own so-called government.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on December 19, 2023, 01:36:35 PMI hope they do, and set a fine example to our own so-called government.
Ah, but we do indeed have as this nation, under God, a new birth of freedom and that government of the people, by the people, for the people,...

The only problem is that it's the wrong people!

Cassandra

Conflagration and civil unrest doesn't seem to exist anymore in England. A combination of general laxity and disinterest prevails amongst the 'Millenials' and 'Gen Z's etc. If it hasn't got an app then bugger it, seems to be the way. They'd rather play their screens trialling 'Fartr' and other educational influences.

Also, lets face it people of our age group don't react by burning down buildings either, even though we see the consistent drip, drip erosions of our 'living' space and generational values.

It's their world now, I moved as far away from them and their influences as possible ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

That's why we import as many foreigners as we can squeeze in, to carry out our civil unrest for us.😉

klondike

Some rise up and fight the good fight. Remember the Hindus and Muslims kicking seven bells out of each other in Leicester and elsewhere not long back.

December 19, 2023, 02:07:55 PM
Not quite a snap. Those were mostly home grown Hindus and Muslims I think

JBR

Quote from: klondike on December 19, 2023, 02:06:48 PMSome rise up and fight the good fight. Remember the Hindus and Muslims kicking seven bells out of each other in Leicester and elsewhere not long back.

December 19, 2023, 02:07:55 PM
Not quite a snap. Those were mostly home grown Hindus and Muslims I think
Yes indeed.  Civil war (as we seem to have no police or even army now).
Perhaps we should help our the Hindus, though, as they'd be outnumbered.  We are British after all.

Incidentally, Cassandra, I might have a look for the game you mentioned (Fartr).  It sounds like fun.

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on December 19, 2023, 02:11:40 PMYes indeed.  Civil war (as we seem to have no police or even army now).
Perhaps we should help our the Hindus, though, as they'd be outnumbered.  We are British after all.

Incidentally, Cassandra, I might have a look for the game you mentioned (Fartr).  It sounds like fun.

Never let it be said that I delayed educative process:

https://medium.com/@therealfartr/meet-fartr-the-worlds-first-app-for-recording-analyzing-and-sharing-flatulence-1bf6b75e2e6
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on December 19, 2023, 02:50:44 PMNever let it be said that I delayed educative process:

https://medium.com/@therealfartr/meet-fartr-the-worlds-first-app-for-recording-analyzing-and-sharing-flatulence-1bf6b75e2e6
Excellent!  Thank you.  
I shall try to join in some time later, after Marge has gone out so as to avoid any criticism...
or perhaps congratulation?
I may think carefully about what to eat beforehand, though.
The wrong sort of thing might prove disastrous.

Alex

Not very ladylike of me, but I think that's hilarious !!!! :x3:  :x3:  :x3: