Elderly Drivers, Putting the Brakes On - ITV's Tonight Programme

Started by Diasi, November 23, 2023, 05:58:46 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

I don't think the rise in price makes sense, if a car is driven by an elderly person or a young person the cost to sort it out is surely the same.

Michael Rolls

I agree, but presumably the insurance companies assume anyone over the age of 80 (and even more over 85) is a doddering old fool who can't be expected drive more than a few miles without an accident. It was very illuminating when I had to return the Motobility car after Veronica died. Because Veronica could only drive a few miles at a time before her hands and arms became tired, even though the car was in her name I drove it way over 90% of the time, so for the first time for a few years I had to buy and insure a car, and the first time since I turned 80. I used an agent in Alyth and popped in to explain the new situation. Whilst I was there the lady phoned about a dozen insurers. The moment she said I was 80 half of them just didn't want to know.
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Alex

No matter how much we don't like to admit it, reactions are slower at 80 than at 30, we adjust our driving accordingly, Insurance companies are a big rip off !

Scrumpy

Reactions may be slower as we get older.. However , older drivers are not usually travelling (speeding) so fast they are unable to avoid crashing into other motorist at HIGH speed..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

Not keeping up with the flow of traffic can also cause accidents.  Young people drive too fast as a rule, but old drivers OFTEN drive too slow.

Raven

Quote from: Alex on November 26, 2023, 12:26:38 PMNot keeping up with the flow of traffic can also cause accidents.  Young people drive too fast as a rule, but old drivers OFTEN drive too slow.

Yes I totally agree, :cool:  It's crazy driving between Perth n Thurso in places. 50 miles north of Perth you come to The Drumochter Pass and the scenery is stunning. Lots of places to pull in and admire the scenery, or go for a walk through the mountains, but oh no, tourists prefer to crawl along causing tail backs and bad tempers, :angry:  frustrated drivers behind take dangerous chances to get past these people. It's no wonder there's so many accidents on it.

Scrumpy

Yep.. I often slow down when passing the Co-op to see what bargains there are...  :nooo:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Cassandra

Quote from: Diasi on November 23, 2023, 07:35:06 AMIt's ageism based on age & not on on individual ability.

If an article said female Asian drivers were a scourge on the roads there'd be an uproar & court cases.

And six 1000,000 strong demonstrations every weekend for ten years ....
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Michael Rolls

Every few weeks I go on some sites that test one's reaction times to stimuli. One of them claims to identify your age by your reaction time. According to that site I am from 50-55 years old. Not bad at 86!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]