control

Started by Michael Rolls, May 25, 2023, 09:55:48 PM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Apparently Sunak is denying that he has lost control of immigration. Excuse me? As far as I can see he was never in control - and not only of immigration
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

The extra refugee numbers, from Ukraine, Hong Kong etc couldn't have been envisaged. However, the government should have been investing in training people here to fill the skills shortages that were obviously going to happen after Brexit, when  workers from EU states went home.  Brexit had the desired effect of closing the doors to European workers who could come and go freely.

Its going to take years of investment to get the workforce we need here, if ever. 
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Raven

Today's headline say he plans to deport 3000 every month, says he gets it, we don't want anymore coming here. Well sorry Rishie but I don't believe you, you lot will say anything to save your jobs and then go back on your promises.  :nooo:p

GrannyMac

Until we have enough homegrown doctors, nurses, engineers, scientists etc., we will keep bringing some here. Students, who do mainly come alone, are buying a service from our universities, and paying into our economy.  Living in a city with two universities, I think we'd be much poorer without at least some of them. 

The next government, Labour or some other coalition of the left, are even less likely, IMO, to reduce the numbers of visa immigrants. However they won't have the influx from Ukraine or HK, so numbers may well reduce. But the government needs to be clearer about different categories of immigrants.

klondike

Many students here are African. The ones a couple of doors away in an HMO partied all night and made a bloody nuisance of themselves to neighbours. Fortunately those neighbours made the landlords life hell in return - on several occasions going and knocking him up in the early hours to complain so he booted them out or at least didn't renew.

Raven

This is IMO, we train doctors here in the NHS so instead of letting them rush off back to their own Countries ect, why not put it in their contract that when their training is finished they stay and work for the NHS for a couple of years. Give something back? OK it would take a couple of years to get it up and running untill the first lot finish but once they are ready to leave there should be another lot to replace them.
It seems fairly simple to me. [2090]

Michael Rolls

something that a lot of people have been advocating for decades, but the fact that in Wilson's words 'a week is a long time in politics' has probably seen it never implemented. It takes seven years to train a doctor to full qualification level - five to obtain a medical degree, followed by a two year foundation course -, long enough to cause political shoulders to shrug the idea off as too difficult.
[email protected]

Diasi

Quote from: GrannyMac on May 26, 2023, 06:42:29 AMThe extra refugee numbers, from Ukraine, Hong Kong etc couldn't have been envisaged. However, the government should have been investing in training people here to fill the skills shortages that were obviously going to happen after Brexit, when  workers from EU states went home.  Brexit had the desired effect of closing the doors to European workers who could come and go freely.

Its going to take years of investment to get the workforce we need here, if ever. 

Well, did you have fruit before Bliar opened the EU floodgate?

Well, were houses painted before Bliar opened the EU floodgate?

Well, who did it before Bliar opened the EU floodgate?

Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

yes to all of the above
[email protected]

GrannyMac

Quote from: Diasi on May 26, 2023, 11:41:50 AMWell, did you have fruit before Bliar opened the EU floodgate?

Well, were houses painted before Bliar opened the EU floodgate?

Well, who did it before Bliar opened the EU floodgate?

I picked fruit and potatoes in my teens!  Farmers used to send transport to housing estates daily. My sisters in law, who had useless husbands, would pick all summer, the kids would help in the holidays. Paid for school uniforms, a day at the seaside perhaps. But that system stopped  working partly because of how it affected benefits.

There's plenty of work for painters and decorators, and they can make a good living, so we don't need to import them. No university degree needed either! 

I agree with Raven re Drs and Nurses having to work here for a period after they are trained. 

Alex

It doesn't matter really what category of immigrant does it ?  they all need a roof over their heads and a school for their kids..

Cassandra

Quote from: GrannyMac on May 26, 2023, 04:54:37 PMI picked fruit and potatoes in my teens!  Farmers used to send transport to housing estates daily. My sisters in law, who had useless husbands, would pick all summer, the kids would help in the holidays. Paid for school uniforms, a day at the seaside perhaps. But that system stopped  working partly because of how it affected benefits.

There's plenty of work for painters and decorators, and they can make a good living, so we don't need to import them. No university degree needed either! 

I agree with Raven re Drs and Nurses having to work here for a period after they are trained. 

I remember 'Pea' picking with a friend in the late 50's, it was welcome extra pocket money for our holidays in those days and we looked forward to it.
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...