Boiler

Started by Alex, December 14, 2022, 10:14:40 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

The radiators had a bit of water coming out when I tried to bleed them Phil.  The fella who cuts my grass says he thinks the pipes in the loft may be frozen, as no water coming out from the little sink tap and no water in the loo cistern.
I've now got a fan heater blowing in the utility room, trying to warm it up a bit.    All this saving on heating times is really false economy.

Ashy

Check for leaks when they thaw Alex. I expect you know that and no offence. Leak can be just a pinhole.
Also if you can lag the pipes it might not happen again or bring them under the loft insulation if practicable.
And yeah false economies seem to be the way forward.

Alex

Thanks Ashy, I've been told to watch for a leak or damp patch on the ceiling.  If it starts I'm to switch off the stop cock in the kitchen and the central heating, which is working ok in the main part of the house.

Ashy

Don't you just hate it when a little job becomes a saga?

December 15, 2022, 01:42:36 PM
Let us spray that it doesn't leak.

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on December 15, 2022, 11:35:31 AMThe radiators had a bit of water coming out when I tried to bleed them Phil.  The fella who cuts my grass says he thinks the pipes in the loft may be frozen, as no water coming out from the little sink tap and no water in the loo cistern.
I've now got a fan heater blowing in the utility room, trying to warm it up a bit.    All this saving on heating times is really false economy.
That makes sense as your open vent system will have a header tank in the loft & that could well be frozen.

There'll be all sorts of future problems being stored up at the moment, including homes getting damp & mould, health issues etc.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

You'll get through it Alex.. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Ashy

I would also bring the water tanks under the loft insulation if at all possible as well as lagging the pipes as they are effectively outdoors.

klondike

I'm pretty sure when I had a tank in the loft it was lagged and there was a lagged lid that fitted on it. Round here it hasn't been really low but a lot of the time for best part of a week now it has been near or below zero. I'm guessing houses in Scotland like Mike's and Raven's would have to have high quality insulation as this sort of thing is going to be more common there.

I reckon this cold snap is longer than most I've seen here in years. Murphy ensured it came along when energy prices went ballistic.

Michael Rolls

yes - we have about 12" of insulation in the loft and the tank is heavily lagged
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

Yes lots of insulation both here, and at my place down in Perth.

Alex

This is just a small loft, there's no tank just pipes.  The tank is in the loft upstairs, I'll really have to get that checked, fortunately  '' my gardener'' is a real handy man. :grin:   Still no sign of a thaw this morning.

Ashy

Quote from: klondike on December 15, 2022, 09:49:57 PMMurphy ensured it came along when energy prices went ballistic.
Good old Murphy. What's Murphy's Law? "If it can happen it will, and when it does it will be at the worst possible time" or something.

Alex

My lad came round this morning before work and put the fan heater in the loft on very low.   3pm this afo I've got water running in the sink and the 3 radiators are on ! 
I'm feeling lucky and will probably put the tree up now  :clap:

Raven

klondike