Boiler

Started by Alex, December 14, 2022, 10:14:40 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

My boiler is a Baxi condensing boiler, I can't remember how old maybe 8 or 9 years.    This morning the heating came on ok but it's only on in the house and not the extension where there are 3 radiators, loo, utility, dining rooms , they're all cold. Can anyone tell me what this might be before I try to find a plumber......mine was cruising last time I e-mailed him ! 

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on December 14, 2022, 10:14:40 AMMy boiler is a Baxi condensing boiler, I can't remember how old maybe 8 or 9 years.    This morning the heating came on ok but it's only on in the house and not the extension where there are 3 radiators, loo, utility, dining rooms , they're all cold. Can anyone tell me what this might be before I try to find a plumber......mine was cruising last time I e-mailed him ! 

Check the pressure in the system, it needs to be around 1.5 bar.

If it's less that 1.5 bar you'll have to use the filling loop to top it up.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

It's not a combi boiler Phil, so I don't know what 1.5 bar means, my lad has a combi think his has bars.
Mine only has these two buttons

Diasi

Ok but your boiler is a sealed system, from the Operating Information sticker which shows a pressure gauge, which has to be pressurised & there will be a gauge somewhere.

Tell me the model of the boiler.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

I've just rooted out the instructions manual,I've had the boiler since 2010  !I had no idea it was that long  :smiley:

It's Solo HE Range Wall mounted Powered flue condensing boiler

December 14, 2022, 11:13:09 AM
Have also realised I'm paying for boiler cover with Scottish Power and have been for a few years  :nooo:

Diasi

Right it'll be an open vent boiler that isn't pressurised as what looked like a pressure gauge is a temperature gauge.

Since most of your rads are working it isn't a boiler fault & some service contracts only cover the boiler & controls & not all the pipework & rads so you'd need to check that with Scottish Power if you were thinking of getting them out.

You can try bleeding the 3 rads that are cold, as they could be totally full of air. If no air or water comes out you can run the system to see if that forces water out of the rads.

Failing that it could be a balancing issue so you could open both valves on the 3 rads & see if they get warm.
[email protected]

Alex

Thanks Phil, I'll try bleeding the 3 rads first.

Alex

I think I've got frozen pipes as there's no water from the sink or in the loo cistern.   :yell:  :yell:  :yell:

Alex

You'll never guess what's happened now !!!!!!!

I've just been to Tool Station to get a small fan heater, went to put it in the passenger side footwell and the bloody car door handle broke !

I'm ready for tears now........  :yell:  :yell:

klondike

GrannyMac

So frustrating Alex, hope you get it sorted soon.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

Oh dear... No door handle.. I don't know what to say.. :lipsrsealed: :lipsrsealed:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Alex on December 14, 2022, 06:27:04 PMYou'll never guess what's happened now !!!!!!!

I've just been to Tool Station to get a small fan heater, went to put it in the passenger side footwell and the bloody car door handle broke !

I'm ready for tears now........  :yell:  :yell:
Presumably you can still open it from inside?🤞🤞🤞
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Ashy

Poor Alex!

Stay strong and manage the situation.

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on December 14, 2022, 04:11:31 PMI think I've got frozen pipes as there's no water from the sink or in the loo cistern.  :yell:  :yell:  :yell:
Sounds as though that's the cause although I've never come across central heating pipes freezing.

We had a utility room in a new-build house & the pipe to the washing machine froze from time-to time but never the radiator.
[email protected]