An ill wind

Started by klondike, February 16, 2023, 05:13:28 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

A long and tortuous tale. The good bit I'm up for £89.25 cashback I nearly missed out on.

Ah you are a glutton for punishment then. Pray continue reading.

I got a text telling me that my Vodafone Broadband fixed contract deal was coming to an end and they would be charging me an extra £3 a month.

I phoned them up to tell them that they wouldn't or at least wouldn't be for long as if they couldn't come up with something that was cheaper rather than dearer I'd be moving on.

I got messed about on hold for ages after being put through to somebody who, to cut a long story short, couldn't even come up with the deal they give new customers. I bid him farewell. I probably lost my temper but don't think I swore. He did know that I was not a happy bunny though for sure.

I had a quick look around and couldn't see anything I fancied ordering immediately and postponed the search.

This morning a bit of junk mail arrived. From BT. I normally don't even look at junk mail but as it was for broadband I did. There was a deal that looked OK.

The pamphlet had a QR code so I used my phone to place an order. I assumed it was a special deal. Part way through I realised that my sausage fingers had picked the wrong address from the dropdown. It wouldn't let me go back so I restarted. The damned phoned remembered where I was so I got the URL from the QR code and started placing the order on my laptop.

Part way through doing this my mobile rang. It said EE. I used to have a SIM of theirs so I answered. It was somebody who said they were from BT and had noticed an error in my order. I said yes I have sausage fingers and I'm redoing it on my laptop. I can complete it for you he said and after I told him  the correct house number he said OK I'd get an email confirmation of the order.

I didn't so rang the 0800 number. The BT bod couldn't find any order. I had mentioned the call had shown as EE and apparently BT and EE are merging so she put me through to EE. The EE bod couldn't find any order either.

I decided to check TopCashback to see if it was the same deal. It was. Plus the £89.25 cashback. Ordered.

It's a good job I'm retired as that was almost a full day's work. And I did a supermarket shop. I'm knackered. No wonder I slipped on the cellar steps putting the fruit down there.

Jacqueline

It's a minefield out there Klondike, you need your wits about you, glad you made it in the end.

Just a tip for anyone on Pension Credit, you can get basic broadband and landline for £15 from BT, I think other providers do a social tariff, but you would have to check.

Alex

£89 better in your pocket than theirs !  :upvote:

Michael Rolls

I sometimes yearn for communication via a small boy carrying a forked stick!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]