The Dinkie Couples are Speaking Out.

Started by Raven, April 01, 2024, 01:24:24 PM

« previous - next »

Raven

What's your view? Some think if you don't want kids then your not normal. I don't think that way at all. If I was just starting out on a married life I may be one of them, I certainly wouldn't want to bring a child into today's world.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/30/what-is-it-about-us-dinks-dual-income-no-kids-so-many-people-dislike

klondike

It used to be that you could raise a family on a single income. Nowadays with so many additional calls on income it seems that many can't afford to do so on two. That means HMG are importing young working age people instead to make up the numbers needed to pay state pension. All those extra bodies put a strain on services and housing pushing up costs. With higher costs more choose not to have children. A vicious circle. In the longer term I doubt there will be a state pension.

Diasi

I had to Google Dinkies but I suppose those with kids probably resent the Dinkies expecting their kids to look after them when they get old.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

ansu

When I was young marrying and having children was expected from you, i.e. normal. 
Today you can decide whether you want children or not and I think that's really good. Having so-called "unwanted" children and considering them as a burden must be a hell for a child. 
Somewhere I read today that a couple decided to give up for adoption their 3 months old child, because they couldn't manage life with their child anymore. 
However, as the example of China shows there might arise a problem when society gets older and as far as I know China has changed its politics in this respect.  

JBR

Quote from: Raven on April 01, 2024, 01:24:24 PMWhat's your view? Some think if you don't want kids then your not normal. I don't think that way at all. If I was just starting out on a married life I may be one of them, I certainly wouldn't want to bring a child into today's world.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/mar/30/what-is-it-about-us-dinks-dual-income-no-kids-so-many-people-dislike
I can appreciate your view, certainly about this country in particular.

We never had children and, seeing now what is happening to our once-proud country, I am glad we didn't.  Had we been younger, we would almost certainly have made moves to emigrate, but the thing is that the country has only really gone down the drain over the last 20 years.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire