Could the universe be conscious?

Started by Silver Tabby, March 31, 2024, 10:55:59 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Anything is possible but I doubt the likelihood of that. The universe is outright hostile to life in most regions of it that we know about.

It's true that even small changes in some of the constants of nature and strength of the forces that govern it would have resulted in a universe completely incapable of supporting life (or even atoms for some changes) and that has lead to some invoking a creator which then results into the never ending quest for creators of creators and others suggesting multiple universes from which the anthropic principal puts us in this particular one.

It's all very mysterious and maybe one day our descendents will have better ideas than us which fit the observations. Right now the new James Webb space telescope is knocking huge holes in what science has built up into the Big Bang theory over the last hundred years. In truth I'm not surprised as that came to required the existence of mysterious dark matter which could not be detected by us other than the arrangement and even rotation of galaxies didn't match theory. Then later even more mysterious dark energy because the universe was measured as expanding faster than theory could explain. Both sounded to me like kludges to make theory fit observation and now the wheels have come right off as observation is producing objects predating the calulated time of the Big Bang. I should say both ages as the two methods used don't agree on that either. Cosmology is in turmoil.

JBR

I am sure that there will be life in some form(s) somewhere in the universe.  It is not possible that life began only on this one planet, and there must be millions/billions of other such planets which exist in a life-supporting situation, sufficiently close to a source of heat and light (a star) and with the essentials for life including such things as water and oxygen.

However, bearing in mind that the universe is infinite (a concept difficult for us to imagine simply because we have always lived with physical borders and other limitations) there must be an infinite number of planets having life forms of some sort.

We shall never know, because even if we could travel at the speed of light it would take millions of years to reach some such places.  This also works in reverse, of course.

In a way, though, then yes the universe is no doubt conscious in that there will be conscious beings living throughout it.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

ansu

Somewhere I read that the universe is constantly expanding, so I suppose it will always remain a mystery. 
If we aren't careful and take all necessary steps to protect it one day our "blue planet" will look like Mars. 
On German TV I watched a scientific programm and the scientist said that they are already taking into consideration to build houses suitable for living on the Mars. 
However, I suppose I won't live as long as to see it.

JBR

Quote from: ansu on March 31, 2024, 05:00:17 PMSomewhere I read that the universe is constantly expanding, so I suppose it will always remain a mystery.
If we aren't careful and take all necessary steps to protect it one day our "blue planet" will look like Mars.
On German TV I watched a scientific programm and the scientist said that they are already taking into consideration to build houses suitable for living on the Mars.
However, I suppose I won't live as long as to see it.
I agree.  The fact that the universe is expanding will do nothing other than increase any distances we would have to travel to meet another species.

I can, however, see the possibility of building houses or other accommodation on Mars or the Moon, as there may be materials available there for the taking.

Raven

Well I hope we don't build on Mars or any other planet, We have ruined this one, with all our greed, wars, and killing. We have no right to go and ruin another planet, especially as we never learn from our mistakes.

klondike

Long term it would be a mistake not to if we have the capability. Getting another extinction level meteoroid strike is a statistical certainty. Bruce Willis might be dead wnen the next one turns up. Having humans on more than one world could at least save the species. 

JBR

Quote from: klondike on March 31, 2024, 10:40:39 PMLong term it would be a mistake not to if we have the capability. Getting another extinction level meteoroid strike is a statistical certainty. Bruce Willis might be dead wnen the next one turns up. Having humans on more than one world could at least save the species.
Good point.

Raven

klondike

We wouldn't be safe for a very long time but if we never try we'll never be safe at all.