Net Zero cost

Started by klondike, March 07, 2024, 10:15:10 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Population is Not Being Told the True Cost of Net Zero, Warns Former World Bank Economist

Bankrupt, blackout Britain where the ever-expanding ranks of the poor get clobbered, open borders place intolerable burdens on public spending and services, the rich spivs get richer backing heavily-subsidised energy white elephants – and those of a certain age look back to the good old days of the 1970s. That isn't quite how Professor Gordon Hughes spells it out in his excellent new report that crunches the energy transition numbers of the collectivist Net Zero project, but it might be considered a fair summation of reading between the lines.

The insanity of Net Zero becomes clearer by the day. The idea that hydrocarbons – a natural resource whose use from medicines to reliable energy is ubiquitous in modern industrial society – can be removed within less than 30 years is ridiculous. In his report published by the Global Warming Policy Foundation, Professor Hughes concerns himself with the transition from hydrocarbons to 'green' technologies such as wind and solar. Forget all the politically-inspired low-ball figures of transition, he is suggesting. Looking at you, Climate Change Committee. It is likely that the amount of new investment needed for the transition will be a minimum of 5% of gross domestic product for the next 20 years, and might exceed 7.5%. Gordon Hughes is a former World Bank economist, and is Professor of Economics at the University of Edinburgh.

There is no chance of borrowing such an "astronomical" amount, notes Hughes, and the only viable way to raise the cash for new capital expenditure would be a two decades-long reduction in private consumption of up to 10%. "Such a shock has never occurred in the last century outside war, and even then never for more than a decade," he notes.

Full story: https://dailysceptic.org/2024/03/06/population-is-not-being-told-the-true-cost-of-net-zero-warns-former-world-bank-economist/

JBR

Windmills.  The government's answer to all our problems.
They're sprouting up all over the place, and your picture above is typical.
And yet they still only produce a small proportion of our energy needs.

What fills in the missing supply is largely gas, and perhaps still some coal though this is being replaced by wood from trees in Canadia, which is brought to us across the Atlantic by, yes, diesel-powered ships!

Only a hopeless Tory government could allow this to continue, and I can't wait to see how Labour promise to change things for the better!

There is still talk of SMRs, but that seems to be about Rolls Royce installing such things in foreign countries who, for some reason, seem to be far more aware of what the future of energy supplies should be.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Diasi

The most annoying thing is that no one needs to be an ex-World Bank Economist or a professor or have any level of academia to work it out.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Cassandra

Quote from: JBR on March 07, 2024, 11:04:01 AMWindmills.  The government's answer to all our problems.
They're sprouting up all over the place, and your picture above is typical.
And yet they still only produce a small proportion of our energy needs.

What fills in the missing supply is largely gas, and perhaps still some coal though this is being replaced by wood from trees in Canadia, which is brought to us across the Atlantic by, yes, diesel-powered ships!

Only a hopeless Tory government could allow this to continue, and I can't wait to see how Labour promise to change things for the better!

There is still talk of SMRs, but that seems to be about Rolls Royce installing such things in foreign countries who, for some reason, seem to be far more aware of what the future of energy supplies should be.

They don't even have an amortisation (replacement cost) policy in the 'workings out'. Useless idiots, no corporation on earth worth a salt would approve expenditure without a 'write off' provision.

Hear over here, that the 'Queen of Traitors' - Theresa May is slinging it in next time. Worse Prime Minister of my lifetime!
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

JBR

Quote from: Cassandra on March 08, 2024, 04:34:19 PMThey don't even have an amortisation (replacement cost) policy in the 'workings out'. Useless idiots, no corporation on earth worth a salt would approve expenditure without a 'write off' provision.

Hear over here, that the 'Queen of Traitors' - Theresa May is slinging it in next time. Worse Prime Minister of my lifetime!
Yes, excellent news.
On the other hand, I believe Tony B Liar caused even more damage while he had the chance.

Funny how sitting Conservative MPs are, one by one, adding to the 'vacancies' in that party.  Perhaps they know something.
I have a feeling that my own local soon-to-be ex-MP, Mary Robinson, will be following in her footsteps later this year, because the voters around here tend to vote for the Liberals at the drop of a hat.  No loss, of course, as I don't think she actually does anything.

klondike

I fear that over my lifetime many or even most of the prime ministers I have seen have presided over the slow decline of this country.

Those that haven't such as May or come to that all this current century have accelerated that decline.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on March 08, 2024, 05:53:23 PMI fear that over my lifetime many or even most of the prime ministers I have seen have presided over the slow decline of this country.

Those that haven't such as May or come to that all this current century have accelerated that decline.
Surely May has presided over the decline as much as any of them?
The first act which occurred to me was how she sacked half of the police.

klondike

Cars may be smaller but right now there are a hell of a lot more of them. Of course come net zero the middle class will be on public transport and the poor will be walking. Only the rich will have a personal vehicle just as now only the rich have private jets. The shops won't need stocking so much as everybody will either be skint or dead so that solves the truck problem.

ansu

Quite interesting - when I was attending school my English teacher always praised your political system - having two parties governing alternately. 
As you all know probably the German government consists of three parties having very different views and quarelling a lot.

JBR

Quote from: ansu on March 14, 2024, 09:51:38 AMQuite interesting - when I was attending school my English teacher always praised your political system - having two parties governing alternately.

That's pretty much the case in the UK.  Conservative and Labour.
I have always voted for Conservative who, until they stabbed Maggie Thatcher in the back, have always been the best government in my opinion.
Since BLiar (Labour), of course, the Labour party has not had a look in, simply because they have almost always left the country worse off than when they took over.  
This last Conservative government, though, have done as much if not more damage, but they have been infiltrated by Liberal MPs, who have not been in government for nearly 100 years.

And so it has gone on: Labour and Conservative taking turns.
Both are now dangerous in my opinion.
Many people are now saying that the only party who can possibly restore any value to our country now are a new party, Reform.  I shall certainly vote for them.
Unfortunately, most British people are set in their ways and only even consider the 'two main parties'.
Consequently, Labour is likely to form the next government.

One good thing which may happen after the next five years is that Labour will make such a mess of the country that it is possible that enough people will decide to vote for Reform who, in my opinion, are the only people who can even begin to restore what we once had in this country.

klondike

Imo the only way that Reform will rise following the virtually guaranteed Labour government and 100% guaranteed worsening of everything should that come about is if the Conservative party is completely wiped out in the upcoming election. If that doesn't happen then all that will happen is that they are one again put into government by those who put hope over experience.

JBR

Insanity:
voting for the two main parties over and over again and expecting different results.

As I have said many times, we get what we deserve.

klondike

Next time I will be getting what others deserve.

Sad to think how optimistic I was back in 2019. Fooled again.