Slave Trade

Started by Alex, March 05, 2024, 10:41:38 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

Just heard on the radio that the Church of England has decided the one million pounds they were to give as reparation for the slave trade, has been upped to one billion !   Hope Brian is aware of this :grin:

A report last year estimated that the UK as a whole – we were the biggest slave trading nation  apparently - should pay a reparations bill of £18.5 trillion.   To put that into context, the estimated annual GDP for the UK for 2023 is about £2.5 trillion and the entire worth of the UK – its land, infrastructure and everything in it was estimated by the Office for National Statistics at £10.7 trillion in 2020.  Oops !

UK Politics

klondike

I don't give a rat's fart what the CofE does with its money but would resist as strongly as I could any of mine going that direction. I doubt very much indeed that the forebears of the bulk of us benefitted in the least from slavery. I don't think the slave traders or cotton mill owners here shared their profits around much and certainly the mill owners exploited their workforce. 

JBR

Whatever the Archprick of Canterbury and his naive minions say is of no interest at all to me.
I have nothing to do with the Church and certainly don't pay them a penny.

The only positive outcome of this latest lunacy is that many members of the CofE will be off to pastures new, taking their money with them.  I believe that the CofE is already very rich anyway, so if they want to give away whatever they happen to have is irrelevant to me and to most other people.

As I have mentioned before, I can foresee the CofE dwindling in its support and hence its political strength, and many Christians will be off to the RC or other Christian churches.
What will happen to the Royal Family, though, is anyone's guess.  They could conceivably be some of the very few who still subscribe to the CofE.
The next question is, then, who will perform the next coronation?  The pope?
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

Quote from: JBR on March 05, 2024, 11:11:19 AMWhatever the Archprick of Canterbury and his naive minions say is of no interest at all to me.
I have nothing to do with the Church and certainly don't pay them a penny.

The only positive outcome of this latest lunacy is that many members of the CofE will be off to pastures new, taking their money with them.  I believe that the CofE is already very rich anyway, so if they want to give away whatever they happen to have is irrelevant to me and to most other people.

As I have mentioned before, I can foresee the CofE dwindling in its support and hence its political strength, and many Christians will be off to the RC or other Christian churches.
What will happen to the Royal Family, though, is anyone's guess.  They could conceivably be some of the very few who still subscribe to the CofE.

The next question is, then, who will perform the next coronation?  The pope?

As long as it's not the head Mullah  :yay:

Scrumpy

Quote from: Alex on March 05, 2024, 10:41:38 AMJust heard on the radio that the Church of England has decided the one million pounds they were to give as reparation for the slave trade, has been upped to one billion !  Hope Brian is aware of this :grin:

All this shows is the church has too much money.. 
All the preaching about being kind and helping one another.. Collection boxes and large donations.. are full to overflowing..
 Property laying idle because they have forgotten that it is theirs. 
 They are always asking for money to repair this , that and the other..
Our vicar lives a lovely house next to the church..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Ashy

Quote from: Alex on March 05, 2024, 11:29:24 AMThe next question is, then, who will perform the next coronation?  The pope?

Maybe the next king will crown himself. It comes to the same thing, and everything else is going self service.

muddy

They can't get people through the door as it is ! 
Looks like the RCs will be getting a rush of converts .

ansu

For many years the slave trade (triangular trade) has been a main topic of our A level students. I think money can't make up for the suffering of the slaves and mainly Bristol got very rich at that time. 
However, it's a good sign that the UK deals with this sad topic now. 

Cassandra

This Forum is so educational ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

Delete

March 08, 2024, 05:55:09 PM
Quote from: JBR on March 05, 2024, 11:11:19 AMThe next question is, then, who will perform the next coronation?  The pope?
How about pope-ye the sailor man?

He lives in a caravan😬

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on March 08, 2024, 05:52:52 PMDelete

March 08, 2024, 05:55:09 PMHow about pope-ye the sailor man?

He lives in a caravan😬
Or the great high mufti of the Londonistan mosque.

dextrous63

muddy

Ironically the descendants of slaves are better off than their ancestors in Africa .

JBR

Quote from: muddy on March 09, 2024, 09:02:34 AMIronically the descendants of slaves are better off than their ancestors in Africa .
I'm sure they are.
But why are these do-gooders centering their activities on this country?
How many other countries participated in slave trading, including countries in Africa?

The answer, of course, is that everybody now knows that Broken Britain is the softest nation on earth and, consequently, is the easiest one to criticise especially if you want to make money out of it.

dextrous63

I might sue the government.  If it had dealt with the rise of Nazi Germany before things got out of hand, then my father would probably not have grown up with certain irritating characteristics, and I could have become the multimillionaire that I should have been destined to be.