Klondike and the art of idleness

Started by klondike, March 03, 2024, 04:09:52 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Some while back having got fed up with pairing up socks after washing but not prepared to just wear odd ones I bought a load of identical socks and retired the rest (not actually thrown away although I don't really know why not).

Anyway today there came a revelation. How to save a boring 10 minutes every now and then. It came while balling up pairs of socks. Suddenly I thought "Why am I doing this? They are all identical and I'm pairup up random socks" With that I chucked all the loose socks in the bottom of my sock box and bunged the paired up ones on top. From now on there will be no more balling up pairs.

Of course if the washing machine ever eats one I won't find out until it won't empty but so far the current machine has never done that.

Now I'm wondering what other pointless jobs I do.

dextrous63

I'll adapt an old tricky puzzle for you to mull over.

You have 12 socks.  They all look identical and in fact are, apart from one which you are told weighs differently to all of the others, but not whether it is heavier or lighter.

You are allowed to use a set of balancing scales three times only.  From this, you will be able to determine not only which one is the odd one out, but also whether it is heavier or lighter.

How?

Scrumpy

I do that with my knicker drawer..
All colours put together.. For a while..
All chucked in together now..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Alex

This IKEA gadget is handy for knickers Scrumps - or socks  :smiley:

klondike

I can do the sock puzzle. The tradition is to let others declare if they can or not before giving an answer. That stems from the days of crabby who used to regularly post posers (often without knowing the answer himself).

dextrous63

Okey dokey.

How about a sentence with the word "and" written 5 times in a row?

klondike

A bloke I used to work with would have managed that easily. He got christened "The Wizard of Oz" - whenever he explained something he always started off - because, because, because  :grin:

JBR

Quote from: Alex on March 03, 2024, 04:48:45 PMThis IKEA gadget is handy for knickers Scrumps - or socks  :smiley:

Is it a robot?  It has eyes and movable arms, which made me wonder whether it can go around picking up socks (and underpants).
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Cassandra

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

dextrous63

JBR

Just watching 'The Escape Artist' (in two parts).  Interesting court cases which I think Cassandra might like.

Sorry it's off topic!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Cassandra

Yes I've watched it, many years ago now. David Tenant of course was very good, as was Ray Marsden I seem to remember.

My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

GrannyMac

I don't know the sock puzzle. 🙄
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

dextrous63

Quote from: GrannyMac on March 03, 2024, 10:36:36 PMI don't know the sock puzzle. 🙄
Solution on here ( it's originally the 12 ball problem, but I adapted it for Klondy)

https://www.mathsisfun.com/pool_balls_solution.html

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖