Pride

Started by Scrumpy, March 02, 2024, 11:16:39 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

Pride in our country seems to be quickly disappearing..
We have become a nation of 'fair weather' voters.. and voters who care little about the changing candidates and their beliefs.. Some are not even aware that we are going to the polling stations.. 
Gone are the days when people proudly went to the polling stations to put their mark against someone they admired and believed would be best for them and their country.. Men would do a days work , put on their (best) clothes and with their wives, in their hats,  walk proudly to cast their vote..
Those days have long gone..   Britain and it's people have little to be proud about..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on March 02, 2024, 11:16:39 AMPride in our country seems to be quickly disappearing..
We have become a nation of 'fair weather' voters.. and voters who care little about the changing candidates and their beliefs.. Some are not even aware that we are going to the polling stations..
Gone are the days when people proudly went to the polling stations to put their mark against someone they admired and believed would be best for them and their country.. Men would do a days work , put on their (best) clothes and with their wives, in their hats,  walk proudly to cast their vote..
Those days have long gone..  Britain and it's people have little to be proud about..
You are completely correct.  Yes, postal voting has been introduced, presumably to enable illegal influences on what used to be a personal choice.  Guess who takes the most advantage of that?  Those of a particular culture in which men control everything their wives and families do.

But it is even worse than that.  Our whole culture has changed since the millennium for many reasons, too many to list here though I'm sure most thinking people are fully aware of them.  Largely, if not completely, driven by politicians who are either ditherers, fools, or completely corrupt.
Of course, those people who lead the ruin of the country are only there because we, the people, have voted for them!
It is only possible to change that situation by the voting public changing their ideas...
whilst we are still in a numerical majority!

Am I proud to be British?  I'm afraid not, not any more.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

When I'm away I'm proud to be British,( I've never been to any of the Costas where Brits cause trouble.) 😵�💫  But at home I don't feel the same, I'm not proud of this country which over the years has become "not England". I don't know how to explain it really.

It's not just here though, remember how Germany and Austria were always so CLEAN  ? Not anymore in fact it's noticeable how dirty and scruffy the streets are.  Tourist parts in any city will always be scrubbed up,but go down a side street and it's another world. 

As for voting, I agree postal voting has caused big problems, those in power would have us believe it's only a small problem but look at the postal voting in Rochdale.  I read postal votes rose from (top of my head ) 10,000 to 14,000 and most went to Galloway.

muddy

The British who live on the Costas don't cause trouble .
They are a major part of the Spanish economy .
Haven't see any tourists  cause trouble either .
If you want tourist money you have to take a bit of the rough with the smooth .

Raven

IMO Postal Votes should be only for disabled people and the really old who would have too much trouble in getting to the Polling Station. Everyone else should be made to go.

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Diasi

Quote from: Alex on March 02, 2024, 11:54:47 AMAs for voting, I agree postal voting has caused big problems, those in power would have us believe it's only a small problem but look at the postal voting in Rochdale.  I read postal votes rose from (top of my head ) 10,000 to 14,000 and most went to Galloway.
Well you can use George Galloway as the example but I suggest it also applies to many, if not all, of the non-ethnic Brits who are voted into office.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on March 02, 2024, 05:36:26 PMWell you can use George Galloway as the example but I suggest it also applies to many, if not all, of the non-ethnic Brits who are voted into office.
I am sure that is common and routine in some of those families.  Those people live like that in a situation where the head of the family (always male) makes all the decisions in that family home, and the women and certainly the female children obey.  It is their way and has been throughout history, although I'm sure that some of the more educated ones are more like most western people.

muddy

Think Lufur Rahman .

Alex

Quote from: muddy on March 02, 2024, 01:01:23 PMThe British who live on the Costas don't cause trouble .
They are a major part of the Spanish economy .
Haven't see any tourists  cause trouble either .
If you want tourist money you have to take a bit of the rough with the smooth .

A lot of young British tourists DO cause trouble in Spain,

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/spanish-cities-new-rules-party-tourism-stag-hen-bachelor

muddy

Unfortunately I couldn't read all of this article
It would seem  these are  incidents  usually during the summer season from Hen and stag parties it's a shame that all the British have been tarred with this reputation  because of some drunken louts .
There have always been rules for tourists dress and behaviour  codes  in Spain as in many parts of the world it's just that they haven't been enforced .
Loud parties are not confined to British tourists , tourists come from all over to the Costa's including Spain itself the Spanish are pretty loud and late goers too.
But unruly  hen /stag parties do seem to be a British phenomenon
The greater number  of British in Spain are retirees who live quiet respectable lives and do a lot for the community in the way of voluntary work and supporting the local economy .
So much so that the government of Andulucia tried to get the 90 day rule rescinded because that impacted  on its economy .
People who formally lived there all winter can no longer do so ..
Over tourism is a problem in many places not just Spain .
Venice has put in some pretty draconian laws for tourists too.
The problem is there is too many of us everywhere !

ansu

As to Germany - you are right, it's no longer as clean as it used to be, but we no longer have such a lot of street sweepers as we used to have (there's just a lack of money) and parents no longer tell their children that the waste has to be put into the waste basket (I live close to a school). In Spain, for instance, there are street sweepers working all day long - at least in the town where my mother has a flat. Usually when I go shopping the street sweepers have their breakfast break and are sitting on the steps of the front door in the sun. Moreover, the waste bins are emptied every day and not like in our town every 2nd week. 
Due to our past or should I say history it's very difficult to be proud of being German - sometimes I think the people in foreign countries love our Euros, but I'm not sure whether they love us, too. 
As to the British - at least people living in my region sometimes have problems  in understanding your way of life and your sense of humour.  
I have the impression that the Spanish on the whole have problems with foreign tourists, as they often don't respect the Spanish way of life and drink too much alcohol - not only the English and Germans, but also the Russians etc. 
In 1965 I visited Spain for the first time and in the meantime the country has enormously changed. However, what hasn't changed at all is that the Spanish are very proud of being Spanish and stick to their traditions. 

klondike

Quote from: ansu on March 03, 2024, 06:16:12 PMDue to our past or should I say history it's very difficult to be proud of being German - sometimes I think the people in foreign countries love our Euros, but I'm not sure whether they love us, too. 
We seem to be getting some stick for events even further in our past. Best to judge individuals rather than nationalities imo. 

muddy

Quote from: ansu on March 03, 2024, 06:16:12 PMAs to Germany - you are right, it's no longer as clean as it used to be, but we no longer have such a lot of street sweepers as we used to have (there's just a lack of money) and parents no longer tell their children that the waste has to be put into the waste basket (I live close to a school). In Spain, for instance, there are street sweepers working all day long - at least in the town where my mother has a flat. Usually when I go shopping the street sweepers have their breakfast break and are sitting on the steps of the front door in the sun. Moreover, the waste bins are emptied every day and not like in our town every 2nd week.
Due to our past or should I say history it's very difficult to be proud of being German - sometimes I think the people in foreign countries love our Euros, but I'm not sure whether they love us, too.
As to the British - at least people living in my region sometimes have problems  in understanding your way of life and your sense of humour. 
I have the impression that the Spanish on the whole have problems with foreign tourists, as they often don't respect the Spanish way of life and drink too much alcohol - not only the English and Germans, but also the Russians etc.
In 1965 I visited Spain for the first time and in the meantime the country has enormously changed. However, what hasn't changed at all is that the Spanish are very proud of being Spanish and stick to their traditions.
The street cleaners in Spain are often people receiving benefits .
Not only does it give them a purpose and a sense of working for their benefits but it goes on their CV and is a help to getting other employment .
People who have done this work are considered to be willing to work hard .

JBR

Quote from: muddy on March 04, 2024, 04:52:59 PMThe street cleaners in Spain are often people on receiving benefits .
Not only does it give them a purpose and a sense of working for their benefits but it goes on their CV and is a help to getting other employment .
People who have done this work are considered to be willing to work hard .
A good idea.  Why don't we do that?
Oh, I forgot.  Of course, our 'visitors' don't need work: they receive free housing and hand outs.