Mary Poppins was a racist (apparently)

Started by klondike, February 27, 2024, 09:54:45 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Mary Poppins has its age rating lifted from U to PG because of 'discriminatory language'

Mary Poppins has had its age rating lifted from U to PG because it contains 'discriminatory language' - but the word in question is so obscure you may have never noticed it.

The British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) now considers the 1964 tale of Julie Andrews' magical nanny to be not suitable for children to watch alone, despite the film enchanting generations of youngsters.

The reclassification is due to the use of the word Hottentots. The dated term was historically used by Europeans to refer to the Khoekhoe, a group of nomadic herders in South Africa, but is now regarded as racially offensive.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13124527/Mary-Poppins-age-rating-lifted-U-PG-discriminatory-language-BBFC.html

Blacked up too I see. Disgusting.

Scrumpy

:nooo: :wtf:    Unbelievable.. bloody unbelievable..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Surely they could dub out the word and replace it with something less offensive, such a "whining woke pansies"

Raven

When will the world STOP pandering to to these people. It's time they accepted the past, our films, our rhymes ect ect. If they want to live here then STOP trying to change our culture and history. Accept it or Naff Off back to your own Country.  :angry:

Alex

Hottentot, I think it has a nice ring to it  :grin:

dextrous63

I'll have to start taking extra care when describing Mary Poppins as a bit of Hot Totty.

Ashy

klondike

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on February 27, 2024, 10:00:03 AMSurely they could dub out the word and replace it with something less offensive, such a "whining woke pansies"
Yes!

As I'm sure we all know, the war film 'The Dambusters', which featured Guy Gibson's black Labrador 'Nigger', was, after having been shown for nearly 50 years, was dubbed to change the name to 'Trigger'.  It has more recently been shown verbatim by a couple of TV channels which seem to have more common sense than others.

What most people don't know is that the headstone of the dog's grave, which featured his name, was in 2020 replaced with the 'offensive' term removed.

I find it sad that our society these days is becoming so 'correct' that we are losing the right of free speech, and this has been going on for over twenty years.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]