Accents

Started by Alex, February 18, 2024, 12:22:08 PM

« previous - next »

dextrous63

Could someone translate Granny's post for me please?  😬

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on February 18, 2024, 08:32:25 PMCould someone translate Granny's post for me please?  😬
Don't be rude.  It is all perfectly understandable.
I think you Lankies are just jealous cos you don't really have an accent of your own!

I exclude the Liverpudlians, of course.  They certainly have an accent, but I always think it makes them sound a bit thick!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Judd

Quote from: JBR on February 18, 2024, 01:17:04 PMIn my opinion, accents are part of our country and our history.
In days gone by, the people in other parts of the country would sound very different to visitors from other areas.

Radio and television and, of course, the ability to travel longer distances, have reduced such accents and dialects and we are beginning to all sound the same!

The best accent is, of course, Yorkshire and when we visit our friends in Huddersfield, who still sound more Yorkshire than we do, we hear words (for example 'nesh') which we never use ourselves.
Thankfully, dialectic words still exist and I think that is a valuable part of our history.
I agree about the Yorkshire accent (well I would wouldn't I ?). I'm in Huddersfield and what you say about dialect is correct, well in my case at least. I'm known for coming out with words that nobody understands. Dialects are slowly dying out as they are replaced by Americanised English courtesy of TV shows, YouTube, and Tik Tok.
A Noble Spirit Embiggens The Smallest Man

muddy

Quote from: JBR on February 18, 2024, 09:47:03 PMDon't be rude.  It is all perfectly understandable.
I think you Lankies are just jealous cos you don't really have an accent of your own!

I exclude the Liverpudlians, of course.  They certainly have an accent, but I always think it makes them sound a bit thick!

Excuse me my lad I was born in what was once Lancashire .
Lancashire people have a lovely soft accent .
I quite like the Scouse accent , it's unique .

GrannyMac

And next door, the Cheshire accent sounds a bit Southern to me. Daughter in law and grandchildren sound quite posh to my ears.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

I don't understand any of it.. Thick southerner ..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

muddy

JBR

Quote from: Judd on February 19, 2024, 01:09:53 AMI agree about the Yorkshire accent (well I would wouldn't I ?). I'm in Huddersfield and what you say about dialect is correct, well in my case at least. I'm known for coming out with words that nobody understands. Dialects are slowly dying out as they are replaced by Americanised English courtesy of TV shows, YouTube, and Tik Tok.
Yes, that is perfectly true.  Television is changing us all into little Americans.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire