Talking of Horses.

Started by Raven, February 15, 2024, 11:10:01 AM

« previous - next »

Silver Tabby

Thank you, Raven, that was magic.  Such beautiful creatures.

Mups

How tall are they, Raven -  18h or more perhaps?

Raven

Clyde is 18 hands and Bonnie (who I ride on) is 16 hands. I understand that there are some who can get taller.  :smiley:
First time I sat on a Clyde's back I was only 3 years old. I'd gone with my dad to the farm for some straw bedding for the pups, I was sitting on a gate while dad was talking with the farmer and his big Clyde came over for a nose, I was petting him and the farmer lifted me off the gate and put me on his back. It was wonderful and when I fell in love with horses.
I never owned one but I used to ride a friends one sometimes, this dark beauty was named Piper, and I sometimes took a turn on her.

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Raven on February 17, 2024, 12:02:40 PMHave any of you ever wondered what it's like to have a beach ride on a Clydie? We do this often and if it's been hot we take them to Dunnet Beach daily, in the late evening.
It's a bit jiggly as the camera seems to be on the guys hard hat.
There's no feeling like it, but don't look straight down as seeing those dinner plate size hoofs flying along at a good pace can be scary as the ground tears past.  :wink:
Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/23YD_wRVGDo?si=xvMDrimslwwXIZah
Hiyo Silver!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Mups

Who is the larger,   Clydes or Shires?

Both are magnificent animals. 

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

muddy

I rode a Shire once it was about 18 hh and was in an American saddle .
Unfortunately dismounting  I got hooked on the pommel and was stuck hanging about two feet from the ground by my tee shirt 
The kind horse let me scramble back up again and detach  myself it was like climbing a mountain .

Raven

Quote from: muddy on February 18, 2024, 10:08:07 AMI rode a Shire once it was about 18 hh and was in an American saddle .
Unfortunately dismounting  I got hooked on the pommel and was stuck hanging about two feet from the ground by my tee shirt
The kind horse let me scramble back up again and detach  myself it was like climbing a mountain .

I shouldn't laugh BUT, Oh Dear.  :embarrassed: I take it you dismount the same way I do.  Feet out of stirrups, Lie over the neck, swing right leg over to left side and drop. I have to get Dunc to steady me on the drop since my accident last winter, or I'd land on my ass thanks to my balance.

February 18, 2024, 10:41:09 AM
Quote from: Mups on February 17, 2024, 10:02:07 PMWho is the larger,   Clydes or Shires?

Both are magnificent animals. 

Had to ask Dunc as I wasn't sure. He said the Shires are usually the taller but it really depends on each horse.

klondike

I rode a horse for the first and last time probably over 30 years ago. We were on holiday in Snowdonia with my youngest daughter. She had seen some riding in the foothills of Snowdonia advertised and wanted to go. I wasn't keen as my only previous experience of a horse was trying to feed one an apple or something to amuse the same daughter. The horse bit onto a toggle button on my coat instead and wouldn't let go. Obviously it did at some point as I'm not still being eaten by it.

Anyway we booked and turned up. My daughter got a nice little pony. My wife a slightly bigger one. Then out they came with mine. It looked like it was a 10 feet tall. They provided a step ladder for me to get on. Once I had I realised it was nearer 12 feet tall. I knew they were taking one when they told me it's name. Grotty.

Anyway time for the off. It didn't want to go. I was told to say Walk on Grotty and give it gentle encouragement with my heels. Eventually if did reluctantly move and amble along behind the rest. I hadn't realised I'd need seasick pills. Progress was in fits and starts involving many Walk on Grottys and increasingly energetic encouragement which had entirely zero effect. During one of its many halts it took a fancy to some nettles and whipped its head down to eat them. I hung on by a whisker.

Eventually we took a turn and Grotty took off at a very brisk pace going past the others and refusing to slow or stop arriving back at the stables first. I don't recall the getting off but it may have involved a crane or a cherry picker. I do recall one very sore backside that lasted the rest of the holiday.

My wife and daughter loved it. They may even have gone again. I didn't.

Raven

I think Grotty knew full well you were not experienced and went into F*** You Mode, as they do.  :grin: Keeping the head up is always a hassle for new riders as the horse looks to see just how much it can get away with. :shh:  As for the sea sickness you need to get into the movement of the horse and go with it. Finding your seat it's called, once you do this, it's much smoother. 
Poor You, what an experience for you.

klondike

I think there was a very good reason that horse got its name.....

Scrumpy

On the way to school we had to walk through an area called The Hedges..
It was a pathway .. on both sides were hedges and fields..
It was only a narrow path and very often a horse would be looking over the hedge to see what was happening on the path.. 
Us girls would stand still .. for what seemed to be an age before one was brave enough to walk pass the horse.. Whose head was well over the pathway..
I still walk down The Hedges.. No horses .. I wish there were.. I am not frightened now..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Mups

I loved horses when I was a kid. 
I used to always be down the local stables after school,  and help out with mucking out and grooming every weekend for years.

I rode a lot too,  and one day years later, I got my own pony.  A  14.2  was plenty big enough for me as I'm only little.

He was a gentle soul,  except his only bad habit was when cantering, he would often buck with excitement.
I remember he chucked me off once on the roadside verge!
He never ran off though, he would just stand and wait for me to climb back on,  the old devil.

I loved that boy,  and he eventually died at the age of 23.   
I shall never forget him,  his name was Kimble,  or Kim for short.

After I lost him,  I missed him so much, and  after a year passed I gave his tack away, and have never ridden again to this day.