Talking of Horses.

Started by Raven, February 15, 2024, 11:10:01 AM

« previous - next »

Raven

Some were talking in the Inner Sanctum about horse races. I have been to a couple of races at Scone in Perth and quite enjoyed it.
BUT, did you know that the Clydesdale Horses have their own Races? Now that I would enjoy. :clap:

muddy

I did know only because a friend used to breed these giants .
One day one of the foals kicked him playfully and broke his leg! 

Clydesdale foals are quite large .

Raven

Aye that they are, you learn to keep well to the side of this breed, if you don't want to land up in A&E. The yearly Caithness Show always had a good selection of horses, Clydes are well represented too.

Alex

My Grandad used to show these horses, I don't remember much about them apart from lots of brass !

Michael Rolls

I can't help thinking that medieval destriers must have looked like slightly smaller Clydes
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

Quote from: Michael Rolls on February 16, 2024, 04:09:06 PMI can't help thinking that medieval destriers must have looked like slightly smaller Clydes

Possibly they were but they must have been hellish strong. They had all that armour to wear, as well as carry a rider into battle. Poor things. :boo:

Silver Tabby

How lovely - I love Clydesdales -such beautiful intelligent creatures.

Michael Rolls

Quote from: Raven on February 16, 2024, 04:31:43 PMPossibly they were but they must have been hellish strong. They had all that armour to wear, as well as carry a rider into battle. Poor things. :boo:
Absolutely - always intrigues me to see Hollywood mounting armoured men on horses not much more heavily built than thoroughbreds
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

dextrous63

Is horse racing something that should be deterred?  These are magnificent animals, after all.

https://www.horsedeathwatch.com/

I saw a statistic that suggests an an average of 1 horse dies for every 1000 races.  Imagine if the same statistic for human athletic events was also true.

Raven

I doubt it will ever be as man likes to gamble and have the thrill of  cheering on his chosen horse. BUT, that terrible race with the jumps "The Grand National" is so cruel and IMO should be stopped at once. Every year some poor horse had to be put to sleep because of injuries........Unnecessary injuries.
Several times the jockeys have been hurt and I always think.... Good, better you than the horse.

Alex

I agree and close up those jumps are unbelievable.  Should be banned but it won't happen as it brings mega bucks to the city.

muddy

Quote from: Michael Rolls on February 17, 2024, 04:19:52 AMAbsolutely - always intrigues me to see Hollywood mounting armoured men on horses not much more heavily built than thoroughbreds

It's has been found through historical references ,( such as the Bayeux tapestry ) and remains that the medieval war horse was really quite small . About the size of a large pony today about
14.2 hands high .
They were probably stocky like a Gipsy Vanner .
It must be remembered too that people were quite small too and although people tend think of Henry V111 in his suit of armour being hoisted aboard a huge horse this was  very unlikely  or maybe towards the end of his life when he was unlikely to break out of a walk .
We do know that Henry was not always heavy from the his suits of armour which survive .
His first had a 32 inch waist .
He probably used it for jousting for which the horse only gallops down a short track .
The only people who could afford a suit of armour were royalty and noblemen .
These were rarely seen galloping at the head of their army so their horses would not be charging along carrying these great weights in the front line
An exceptional to this was Richard 111 who did lead his army .
But he was slightly built and as we know lost his kingdom and his life when his horse fell or was killed beneath. him .
Henry V111 also passed laws against very small ponies in an effort to improve the size of the great horse . Small ponies survived however in remote areas such as Exmoor , Dartmoor and the Shetland Isles where they run wild to this day .

Raven

There's a lovely wee Shetland Pony up at the Thurso Castle Farm, Dageus and I see him quite often when we walk what way, I always have a cuddle and a fuss with him, and we part with me giving him a carrot which he loves and has come to expect from me.  :smiley: I'm a bit of a softie for that.  :busted:

Raven

Have any of you ever wondered what it's like to have a beach ride on a Clydie? We do this often and if it's been hot we take them to Dunnet Beach daily, in the late evening.
It's a bit jiggly as the camera seems to be on the guys hard hat.
There's no feeling like it, but don't look straight down as seeing those dinner plate size hoofs flying along at a good pace can be scary as the ground tears past.  :wink:
Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/23YD_wRVGDo?si=xvMDrimslwwXIZah

dextrous63

Wow, wow and triple wow.  Wish I could have learned how to ride and do stuff like that.