Places that we remember

Started by GrannyMac, February 14, 2024, 08:34:05 AM

« previous - next »

GrannyMac

I have lots of memories of going home to Dundee.  Even after 50 odd years, it's still a place I miss.  Our last visit was in 2022, OH isn't up for driving that distance now, so I might take the train again.  I used to go regularly by train to visit my mum.  Spectacular view at night.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Scrumpy

West Bay in Dorset..
For many years Sam and I would head there .. We had a tourer..
There was a lovely site right near the harbour.. We would meet up with other members of the family..
Lazy days.. Boats up the river.. Ice cream ,just sitting watching the boats come and go in the harbour ..
A walk over the cliffs into Bridport.. 

Then the developers got their grubby hands on the area..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Lovely laces no doubt.

I recall many happy summers in Penmaenmawr.  Beach to die for, walks in the mountains, bus trips to Conway, Bangor and Llandudno.

Then they built the A55 Expressway.  People can get to places more quickly, but not so many people now want to go as there's a big bloody expressway making a huge noise across the beach front, made from delightful concrete.

klondike

We used to like North Wales. You're correct about that damned road though. We went to Conwy I think it was and it divided the place in two and cut off the beach. We didn't go back there although we did pass through - nice road cutting down the travel time  :wink:

In the main we liked to try different places except for weekend campervan trips when the journey involved made a difference. Mountains and beaches are good but they are all a very long way from Northampton.

dextrous63

More likely to be Colwyn Bay as it's got a beach.  Conway more known for the estuary.  The expressway manages to miss the town pretty well.

Have mentioned it before, but perhaps not on here.  The new promenade that they built on Penmaenmawr when they build the expressway was the only prom to be built in in the UK in the 20th Century.  Pub quiz fact for you😉

klondike

Probably. It was a long time ago now. I'll look at google earth and see if that rings any bells.

Yes looking at the map I think you are correct. We were in a campsite the other side of the town from the sea so both might fit but I think it was Colwyn Bay.

GrannyMac

I've not seen much of the South or Wales. Just Port Madoc, Criccieth and one of the biggest beaches ever at Blackrock sands.  That was when the oldest grandchildren were really small, nice memories.

OH and I visited Portmeirion when we were there, its lovely.  The Prisoner I believe was filmed there.

dextrous63

Not cheap to visit Portmeirion nowadays.

I've often wondered about whether entry fees are a careful balance to ensure enough money is taken to maintain grounds/pay staff etc, but to ensure the place isn't overrun with too many visitors at any one time.

GrannyMac

Alex

I prefer South Wales myself, the people are so friendly ! :cool:  :cool:

Raven

Isle of Mull, I remember my young years living there before we moved to the Mainland. We lived just outside Tobermory.
I also remember walking along the cliff tops on Jura with my dad, he took me to see The Corryvreckan, I was frightened and mesmerised at the same time, and the noise from it Sheeezze, no wonder it can be heard on the Mainland at times.

Scrumpy

I remember , as a child, the many coach trips to the seaside..
Standing under the pier at Brighton.. sheltering from the rain..
Waiting for 6 o'clock .. pick-up time.. 
Candy floss that stuck to our faces.. 
and a knitted bathing costume that went all baggy when wet..
They were the days..  :yahoo:
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

muddy

I was born in Lancashire I used to go up there as a child loved every soot soaked cobbled street.