Why...

Started by Scrumpy, February 09, 2024, 09:15:13 AM

« previous - next »

Scrumpy

Does Alexa think she knows what I am about to ask.. !!
She's taken over the house.. She plays music I never ask for.. At 5:30pm on the  dot she starts paying music.. She is over familiar and calls me by my Christian name.. I never said she could.. She will interrupt mealtimes by asking me what I thought of a purchase I made a few months back and how many stars , out of five, do I give the product.. She tells me something that I have ordered will be 'Arriving today'.. Not on a Sunday it isn't.. !!
Sam would have loved her.. she would have been the other women  in life..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Two solutions. The temporary one is to unplug it. The second involves one of these or similar and is permanent...

An alternative might be to check google to see if others have moaned and how it was fixed. Mine does none of that. Of course I only use mine as an alarm occasionally or ask it what the time is so she's likely sulking or having an affair with the neighbour.

JBR

On the contrary.  Our Alexa is very efficient.
She can even tell Marge when it's time to turn the oven off.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

I must admit having Alexa linked up to smart home kit can give you a lot of handy information. 

Just made this video of mine which is linked to an Amazon Air Quality meter.

Alex

You'll have to go through your setting on the Alexa app Scrumps, mine doesn't do anything I don't want her to - 'her' is an Australian Sheila on mine. :grin:

JBR

Quote from: Alex on February 09, 2024, 12:38:33 PMYou'll have to go through your setting on the Alexa app Scrumps, mine doesn't do anything I don't want her to - 'her' is an Australian Sheila on mine. :grin:
Oh, you need a reliable British one.  You know what the Australians are like!

Scrumpy

My Alexa is British... No foreigner for me... She is quiet at the moment but she will think of something to spoil the silence.
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

klondike

Perhaps you should use Mr Alexa instead?  :grin:

JBR

The British Alexa is very good at farting.  She has quite an extensive 'vocabulary'.

Just say, "Alexa, do a fart."  Then, "Alexa, do a louder one."  Or, "Alexa, do a more musical one."

klondike

I don't need Alexa for that  :rolleyes:

Alex

Quote from: JBR on February 09, 2024, 01:33:12 PMOh, you need a reliable British one.  You know what the Australians are like!

I like the accent

JBR

Quote from: Alex on February 09, 2024, 07:58:15 PMI like the accent
Does the Australian one fart in British English?

Silver Tabby

"Alexa" is something else my friends keep telling me I need - but I can't think of a single good reason - so am resisting - so far!!

JBR

Quote from: Silver Tabby on February 09, 2024, 09:24:55 PM"Alexa" is something else my friends keep telling me I need - but I can't think of a single good reason - so am resisting - so far!!
Seriously though, Alexa is a very useful item.

A timer for cooking, etc, a supplier of information, music - you name it she finds it, weather reports, she can even make telephone calls... oh yes, and she farts to order, but only when requested so don't worry.

Honestly, if you tried one I'm sure you'd find her very helpful.

Mups

Quote from: Silver Tabby on February 09, 2024, 09:24:55 PM"Alexa" is something else my friends keep telling me I need - but I can't think of a single good reason - so am resisting - so far!!

Me too, Tabs.  

Can't think of one good reason why I'd need one.  It's just yet another gadget to go wrong!