I want one on these...

Started by klondike, February 08, 2024, 11:34:04 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

OK not really.

Battle rages over the 'King of Sheffield's' final resting place

200k 37-ton headstone remembering bare-knuckle boxing traveller built without permission still stands two years on - as father-of-nine's widow threatens 'very bad riots' if it is torn down
The huge memorial honours 'Big Willy Collins', who died aged 49 in 2020

The widow of the late 'traveller king' of Sheffield has threatened that there will be 'war' if the boxer's £200,000 37-ton headstone which was built without permission is torn down.
The marble gravestone, dedicated to 'Big' Willy Collins, known to some as the 'King of Sheffield', remains in the city's Shiregreen Cemetery, almost two years after it was unveiled.

A spat between the council and traveller family began in March 2022 when Sheffield council confirmed that the grave was erected without planning permission.

The monument is said to be made of 37 tons of solid Carrara marble and features a solar-powered jukebox which plays his favourite tunes, as well as flashing LED lights and a lifesize 6ft 2in statue of Willy himself.

Believed to have cost around £200,000, the tribute 'fit for a king' also features four flagpoles and a marble bench, as well as depictions of Jesus Christ and biblical scenes.

The council is considering 'next steps' over the headstone but Kathleen, the widow of the bare-knuckle boxer, has threatened 'bad riots' if it is removed - even hiring a security guard.

Where elese? https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13060063/boxing-traveller-headstone-sheffield-riots-torn-down.html

Isn't this in your neck of the woods Mac. Will you be out protesting if the council demolish it?

Silver Tabby

dextrous63

It'd be fitting if someone fly-tipped a load of detritus all over it.

Alex

oh I dunno , a solar powered juke box sounds a good idea  :grin: well he's not going to disturb the neighbours is he ?

dextrous63

Would you be happy with that monstrosity blasting out music while you visited a nearby grave of a friend/relative?

Scrumpy

Another group of people who are a law unto themselves..

I guess 'Big Willy' needs lots of space..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Perhaps the Atlantic would suffice.

GrannyMac

People have been up in arms about this since it was built!  Two years on and the council have appeared toothless, even though they say its breached planning rules.

Crass.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on February 08, 2024, 12:27:47 PMAnother group of people who are a law unto themselves..

I guess 'Big Willy' needs lots of space..
It occurs to me that one day we might be seeing some falling out between the muslims and the pikeys!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire