Modern journalism

Started by klondike, February 06, 2024, 02:55:07 PM

« previous - next »

klondike

Looked in at the Express.

Popup - We see you've read 16 stories this month would you like to give us lots of lovely lolly for a load of extra BS every day.  I may not have got the bit after 16 stories verbatim as my lightning reflexes had closed the popup before my eyes strayed further. Or maybe they were just lookeing for how to get shot of it.

Read some vacuous piece or other that said slightly less than bugger all and came across this...

This article was crafted with the help of AI tools, which speed up the Daily Express editorial research. A Daily Express editor reviewed this content before it was published. You can report any errors here.

So now they use a computer to churn out rubbish instead of some sleezy hack.

JBR

Quote from: klondike on February 06, 2024, 02:55:07 PMLooked in at the Express.

Popup - We see you've read 16 stories this month would you like to give us lots of lovely lolly for a load of extra BS every day.  I may not have got the bit after 16 stories verbatim as my lightning reflexes had closed the popup before my eyes strayed further. Or maybe they were just lookeing for how to get shot of it.

Read some vacuous piece or other that said slightly less than bugger all and came across this...

This article was crafted with the help of AI tools, which speed up the Daily Express editorial research. A Daily Express editor reviewed this content before it was published. You can report any errors here.

So now they use a computer to churn out rubbish instead of some sleezy hack.
I keep getting pop ups in my inbox inviting me to look at the Express.
I really don't bother now, but I suppose they have my email and make full use of it.

I prefer the Telegraph and read it almost every morning, though to be honest I don't actually pay for it.
They do, occasionally, make articles unreadable unless you have logged in but, presumably in order to attract new customers, usually make them freely available the next day.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Judd

The Grauniad is just the same. Begging bowl out every time you try and read all an article. Damned annoying.
A Noble Spirit Embiggens The Smallest Man

klondike

Just been there as they were the first hit I found looking for any polling on whether Reform stood any chance in Wellingborough. There was no polling but It seems they may kick the Tories into third.

The begging letter at the end rivalled the story in size..,

You've read 7 articles in the last year
Article count
on
Well, 2023 didn't exactly go to plan, did it?
Here in the UK, the prime minister, Rishi Sunak, had promised us a government of stability and competence – not forgetting professionalism, integrity and accountability – after the rollercoaster ride of Boris Johnson and Liz Truss. Remember Liz? These days she seems like a long forgotten comedy act. Instead, Sunak took us even further through the looking-glass into the Conservative psychodrama.

Elsewhere, the picture has been no better. In the US, Donald Trump is now many people's favourite to become president again. In Ukraine, the war has dragged on with no end in sight. The danger of the rest of the world getting battle fatigue and losing interest all too apparent. Then there is the war in the Middle East and not forgetting the climate crisis ...

But a new year brings new hope. There are elections in many countries, including the UK and the US. We have to believe in change. That something better is possible. The Guardian will continue to cover events from all over the world and our reporting now feels especially important. But running a news gathering organisation doesn't come cheap.

So this year, I am asking you – if you can afford it – to give money. Well, not to me personally – though you can if you like – but to the Guardian. The average monthly support in the UK is around £5, however much you give, all that matters is you're choosing to support open, independent journalism.

With your help, we can make our journalism free to everyone. You won't ever find any of our news reports or comment pieces tucked away behind a paywall. We couldn't do this without you. Unlike our politicians, when we say we are in this together we mean it.

Happy new year!

John Crace

Guardian columnist

Almost makes me feel guilty for falling £5 a month below the average donation. Not especially though. I'd have thought with only 7 reads in a year they'd have used a much smaller begging bowl. Maybe one that took coppers - pretty much worthless as are their namesakes I've just realised.

JBR

Support the Grauniad?

I couldn't possibly send them a penny, let alone £5, for their heavy left-wing bias which is completely contrary to my own.

Although I have, occasionally, considered contributing to the Telegraph, I have never quite managed to actually bring myself to do so, not for any political reasons, but simply because I'm a tight-fisted bastard Yorkshireman.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Raven

I don't like the media today, they publish first and think about things afterwards. They wreck people's lives in the process, not the way to go about things at all. AND, don't get me started on their phone hacking and spying.  :angry:

dextrous63

Quote from: Raven on February 07, 2024, 10:19:47 AMAND, don't get me started on their phone hacking and spying.  :angry:
No need to.  I've already got the bugs and hidden cameras in place at your gaff.  Been listening and watching you for months😬

Raven

Oh Dear, I'd better stop complaining about you to himself.  :busted:

dextrous63

You should hear what he says about you when you're out of earshot😬🤭

Raven

dextrous63

In fairness to her, his mistress does try to rein him in a bit away from the excesses🤭😳🤓😬

Raven

klondike

Some sort anyway...   He may have a new avatar soon. I've found an appropriate one already :grin:

dextrous63

Ooh, help.  Help.  Mr Rapunzel is threatening me😬😬😬