Goodbye Saturday post?

Started by Michael Rolls, January 21, 2024, 06:20:19 AM

« previous - next »

Michael Rolls

Apparently Ofcom are to issue a 'consultative paper' (we all know what that means) that will, inter alia, set up the possibility of post Monday to Friday only. A further reduction in what is still a vital service, although was surprised to read that whereas the service was structured to cope with 20 billion items of post a year, it is now only seeing 7. Then, when I thought about it, not so surprised. So far this month I have posted just 2 letters - both official responses to official queries. Back in Haslemere days was the Hon Sec of a couple of clubs and produced newsletters for them both, posting around 200 letters a month. Then, as more and more folk were happy to accept Emails in lieu of post, the number dropped to around 20.I had been buying 1,000 envelopes every few months - when we switched to mostly E-mails, I had just bought 1,000 - they lasted years!
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

GrannyMac

I bought too many stamps at Christmas. They'll probably do for next year's cards. 🙄
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Perhaps if they stopped delivering leaflets and unaddresssed mail?

TBH as far as I'm concerned they could just do one day a week. The only letters of any importance are notifications of hospital appointments sometimes followed by cancellations and all of those weeks away. Most of the stuff I get delivered is by Amazon or courier and if they shut down entirely the packages would all come that way instead.

Scrumpy

Way back we had a whistling postman.. Lovely guy.. Always spoke to everyone.. and always whistling.. We have had a few postmen since and we knew most of them by name..
I haven't seen a postman for some time.. I get leaflets through the letterbox so I guess he/she is about somewhere..
As for post.. it goes all over the place.. Often get people bring stuff to me that has been wrongly delivered..
I posted 4 cards at Christmas.. That's my lot for the year..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Michael Rolls

they get paid to deliver the junk - most of which goes straight into the bin. Without that income their service be even more expensive
[email protected]

klondike

Being terraced my recycling bins are in the front garden. I often consider putting up a notice...

PLEASE CUT OUT THE MIDDLE MAN
PLACE ALL LEAFLETS IN THE BLUE BIN PROVIDED

Michael Rolls

[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: klondike on January 21, 2024, 10:01:09 AMBeing terraced my recycling bins are in the front garden. I often consider putting up a notice...

PLEASE CUT OUT THE MIDDLE MAN
PLACE ALL LEAFLETS IN THE BLUE BIN PROVIDED
Good idea!  They'll only say that they're not allowed to do that, of course.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire