Walking in Icy Weather

Started by Alex, January 17, 2024, 02:04:50 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

NHS Scotland has issued instructions for walking safely in snow and ice. -  walk like a penguin ! 

Greater Glasgow and Clyde volunteers have demonstrated the method outside the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, which starts with bending slightly and keeping the knees loose.
The top tips include pointing out the feet slightly, extending the arms at the sides before walking in a flat-footed fashion. 

STV

JBR

Quote from: Alex on January 17, 2024, 02:04:50 PMNHS Scotland has issued instructions for walking safely in snow and ice. -  walk like a penguin ! 

Greater Glasgow and Clyde volunteers have demonstrated the method outside the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, which starts with bending slightly and keeping the knees loose.
The top tips include pointing out the feet slightly, extending the arms at the sides before walking in a flat-footed fashion. 

STV
Sensible, but I think it is probably what many people do naturally if they are not sure of their footing.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

klondike

Next weeks planned lessons...

Tooth brushing
Bum wiping
Nose blowing

Alex

GrannyMac

My tip how not to fall in icy weather?  Don't go out. ☺️
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Michael Rolls

Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

Raven

I have to go out sometimes but my ice grips are on my boots and working well. A week now since I've been to the pool though, it's only for Dageus's walk and I pop into the wee shop in the village on the way home, if I need to get milk or rolls.
I did a big shop over in Wick the day before the weather got so bad and filled the freezer and cupboards.

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on January 17, 2024, 02:46:07 PMSensible, but I think it is probably what many people do naturally if they are not sure of their footing.
Don't be daft.  I wear smooth leather soled shoes and take huge strides while making sure that I have my mobile in my selfie stick so that I have video evidence should I slip and need to sue someone.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on January 18, 2024, 12:03:16 PMDon't be daft.  I wear smooth leather soled shoes and take huge strides while making sure that I have my mobile in my selfie stick so that I have video evidence should I slip and need to sue someone.
We have just been to a pottery course in Bolton.  The nearby car park was almost full, not only of cars but also full of snow and ice - ungritted!
We had to walk, hand in hand like penguins taking tiny steps.  No falls, thankfully.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Ashy

They ought to take us out on a skid pan while we are at school like the old fashioned bus drivers.