Help !

Started by Alex, January 11, 2024, 04:35:27 PM

« previous - next »

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on January 13, 2024, 03:58:00 PMYou could adjust how much water the cistern holds JB.
Only within the limitations of its size.  I have already set our system to fill to the highest point available.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

dextrous63

Quote from: JBR on January 13, 2024, 05:15:01 PMOnly within the limitations of its size.  I have already set our system to fill to the highest point available.
In fairness, I've done the same and like you have to resort to a double flush more often than not, which is more wasteful than if one had a good old fashioned cistern from Mr T Crapper's days.

GrannyMac

Quote from: Ashy on January 13, 2024, 04:27:04 PMWhatever you do, don't put up a notice that says

"The toilet is out of order, please use the bucket"
🫣😁😁
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

Yep. Ashy on the money as always.  :grin:

Have you two tried bashing the offender with a stick before flushing?

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on January 13, 2024, 05:30:09 PMIn fairness, I've done the same and like you have to resort to a double flush more often than not, which is more wasteful than if one had a good old fashioned cistern from Mr T Crapper's days.
Absolutely.
I may have mentioned this before, here or 'elsewhere', that wen ah wer a lad in West Bowling, Bradford, we had an outside bog with a large wooden cistern hanging up on the wall at probably over six feet high.
Not only was that much bigger than the trendy modern thin things we have now, it possessed a much greater potential force due to its elevated position.
You could wash away anything produced even by an elephant with that power.

The one disadvantage, of course, was the freezing temperatures and the spiders hiding in the darkness just waiting to come out and jump on you and bite you in the neck.  That was what we kids always thought, anyway.

dextrous63

Grand old days indeed.

January 13, 2024, 09:19:18 PM
I feel an invention coming on.  A hybrid cistern that uses rainwater when available but also potable supplies when not, with the added feature of pressurising the cistern so that when it flushes, the water comes out at a height pressure thus emulating a higher wall hung system.

Scrumpy

And .. if you are quick, you can wash your hair.. !!
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

GrannyMac

The voice of experience 😉
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on January 14, 2024, 09:44:50 AMAnd .. if you are quick, you can wash your hair.. !!
Good point.
If water bills are too high, you can go outside in the rain to wash your hair.  I suppose you may as well do everything and have a shower.
A bit cold in the winter months though, but in summer?

Ashy

Quote from: dextrous63 on January 13, 2024, 09:12:14 PMGrand old days indeed.

January 13, 2024, 09:19:18 PM
I feel an invention coming on.  A hybrid cistern that uses rainwater when available but also potable supplies when not, with the added feature of pressurising the cistern so that when it flushes, the water comes out at a height pressure thus emulating a higher wall hung system.
Why don't we just hang the cistern higher up? Could always use some sort of chain to flush it with.

Scrumpy

Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Quote from: Ashy on January 14, 2024, 11:52:35 AMWhy don't we just hang the cistern higher up? Could always use some sort of chain to flush it with.
Ah, but you're forgetting close-coupled units as well as boxed in (hidden) cisterns.  Retrospective fitting of some carefully designed gadget will be a godsend.  Am toying with using a Venturi effect.