Help !

Started by Alex, January 11, 2024, 04:35:27 PM

« previous - next »

Alex

Help again a leaky loo this time.
For the last two days there's been a little bit of water behind the loo seat.  I took a photo as thought someone might tell me if I can fix it myself.  I put two aerosol tops to show exactly where the water is as white doesn't show up very well.   The cistern sits on the toilet :hmm:

Scrumpy

That is a strange place for a leak.. !! 
Could it be condensation..?
Nice clean toilet..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

JBR

I'd say the leak is from the connection between the cistern and the seat.
I wonder whether the cistern simply sits upon the opening which leads to the area under the rim where, presumably the water gushes out when you flush, rather than there being a connection which has become loose.
Do you remember when it was installed and whether some connector in that narrow space might have become loose?
Does the cistern sit steady on the top of the bowl, or will it move slightly?
If you take the top off the cistern and look down inside, can you see anything which may have become loose?
You'd be better asking a plumber to have a look, as they are more likely to be familiar with the connection.
Before investigating, I should turn off the water supply, either near to the toilet if you can find one, or perhaps at the water mains, then flush the toilet.  You can then reach into the cistern and feel if anything is loose.

Alternatively, could it be a male member of the family missing the target when peeing?  🤣🤣🤣
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Alex

haha no male members using this loo JBR it's upstairs.
I tried to lift the lid and it looks like there's a lead or something, an orange thing connecting the lid with another orange thing  :hmm:   

Diasi

It's what's known as a close-coupled toilet & the the cistern sits on a rubber seal between it & the bowl.

Our three are the same as yours.

The hole in the side of the unit is where the shut-off valve should located but it has to be turned with a screwdriver & can be fiddly so turning off at the mains is the best idea.

The flush system is operated by air pressure when the button is pressed & that's what I imagine the orange pipe will be for.

Personally I'd get a plumber to fix it.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Alex

OK sounds complicated, thanks Phil and everyone.  :upvote:

dextrous63

Yep.  The donut (that is its proper name) is letting water through.  Not a very expensive thing in terms of cost of replacement, and it shouldn't take a plumber more than an hour to replace (subject to how the cistern is fixed to the wall and how corroded the wing nuts are).

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on January 11, 2024, 07:27:42 PMYep.  The donut (that is its proper name) is letting water through.  Not a very expensive thing in terms of cost of replacement, and it shouldn't take a plumber more than an hour to replace (subject to how the cistern is fixed to the wall and how corroded the wing nuts are).
Ah, thank you.  I thought it might be that connector or seal between the cistern and the pan, but didn't know it was called the 'donut'.  I think that describes its shape quite well.
On the other hand, it could be that the cistern (or the pan) has become loose, allowing water to pass the 'donut' thing.

I agree.  Best to let a plumber do it.

dextrous63

JB, that was a blast from the past ... the DiyNot days.

JBR

Quote from: dextrous63 on January 11, 2024, 08:19:07 PMJB, that was a blast from the past ... the DiyNot days.
Oh, I still visit DiyNot every day.  You can pick up some very useful advice there.

Ashy

In the mean time you could tie the ball cock up to empty the cistern and flush it with a bucket.

GrannyMac

Our loo has stopped flushing.  Bucket job to flush it! OH fixed it last time, looks like the same problem, needs a new inlet valve.  But now we have a maintenance contract, plumber is coming on Tuesday.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on January 13, 2024, 01:18:04 PMOur loo has stopped flushing.  Bucket job to flush it! OH fixed it last time, looks like the same problem, needs a new inlet valve.  But now we have a maintenance contract, plumber is coming on Tuesday. 
It could be worse, Granny.
Flushing from a bucket will do the job for now and, in fact, is probably more effective than standard flushing now that we are limited by the EU as to the size of contents of our cisterns.

I know I usually need to flush at least twice.
(Apologies if this is being a little too detailed about my personal needs.)

dextrous63

You could adjust how much water the cistern holds JB.

Ashy

Whatever you do, don't put up a notice that says

"The toilet is out of order, please use the bucket"