At the dump

Started by Ashy, January 10, 2024, 09:17:06 AM

« previous - next »

Ashy

Well I went to the rubbish dump, now known as the recycling centre, yesterday, to dispose of an old and very heavy TV set which was collecting dust.

The gent there said 'TV sets in here...' indicating a container with the end door open. I was amazed to see it was nearly full of enormous flat screen TVs. I'd say the majority were flat screen type over 40". One of them wouldn't have fit in my car.

Is this because they don't last very long, or because we can't afford to switch them on any more?

klondike

Upgraded to even bigger probably. I have one that is years old so they can last but I expect if one goes wrong it just gets replaced. 

Scrumpy

I mostly buy new when any of my electrical goods play up.. Sometimes it works out cheaper than a repair man .. They can charge pounds just to step over the door..
I think many people will find the money, or plonk it on the credit card, when it comes to the biggest and the best where TVs are concerned..  Not me.
I've been to the tip and am amazed at the stuff being dumped.. Could furnish a house.. !!  Those who work there keep their eyes peeled.. that's for sure..
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Raven

We have a new section at our recycling centre, it's for stuff that's too good to just chuck. We've put a couple of things in there and I was amazed at the things in the shed.
Don't know if they go to charity or you can buy them, must ask next time I'm over there.

klondike

Most tips sell stuff and the operator gets the money I think.

Raven

I didn't know that, but I'm seldom there so don't keep up with things. :wink:

Diasi

Our recycling centre has a notices prohibiting the sale or exchange of any goods.

As regards the longevity of TVs we still have the 40" Panasonic plasma TV that my wife bought in 2008 before we were together.

It's in her bedroom & it still gets used occasionally, if I have to go out at night, to give the appearance of someone being in.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Michael Rolls

can't compete with that both mine were bought in 2014, and so far, so good. One Sony, one Samsung, both 40"
Thank you for the days, the days you gave me
[email protected]

1955vintage

Bought a high end Sony Bravia in 2009, still works perfectly.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

Alex

I've got a Panasonic plasma telly, think it's 42 ". It's still going strong, but I believe they do use far more leccy.  The TV in by bedroom is quite new and is a smart telly, 32" which some may think too big for a bedroom, but it suits me fine. :upvote:

Our recycling centre also has a container for TVs which is often full, I don't think they sell stuff any more, pre COVID there used to be a little shop

klondike

I was wondering about the power when Phil posted. I just checked google and they do use about double an LCD but as the actual usage is fairly low even at todays prices I wouldn't replace one just on energy cost.

Alex

Quote from: klondike on January 11, 2024, 09:30:12 AMI was wondering about the power when Phil posted. I just checked google and they do use about double an LCD but as the actual usage is fairly low even at todays prices I wouldn't replace one just on energy cost.

:upvote:

Ashy

Perhaps the owners wanted a set that picked up better programmes.

klondike

Need to find this bloke for that...

GrannyMac

We rarely need to go to the dump.  Most things can be broken, or cut up and we put them in the non recycling bin.  
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖