Changing language?

Started by klondike, December 29, 2023, 10:19:36 AM

« previous - next »

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on December 29, 2023, 10:10:14 PMThey differ because some yank called Webster produced a dictionary for them. It would have been fine but he couldn't spell.
You could well be right, I just posted what I'd read about it on some language blog way back.

I do know that the Yanks wonder why so many British places are named after their places.  :grin:
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Scrumpy

Our language can confuse even us.. I live near a village named LEIGH..
Strangers pronounce it  LEE.. We locals  LIE.

Different dialects in this country also a problem with me.. It can sound like a completely different language .. 
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

Diasi

Quote from: Scrumpy on December 30, 2023, 09:35:16 AMOur language can confuse even us.. I live near a village named LEIGH..

Different dialects in this country also a problem with me.. It can sound like a completely different language ..
Tha not wrong theer lass.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

Raven

It's the same near Perth, there's a village called Scone, pronounced Scoon and strangers say Scone like the cake. It gets a lot of visitors because of the palace and where the stone of destiny stood for the kings of Scotland.

JBR

Quote from: Scrumpy on December 30, 2023, 09:35:16 AMOur language can confuse even us.. I live near a village named LEIGH..

We Yorkies pronounce it correctly: "Lee".  
Lankies are a bit thick and they don't know how to speak properly!
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

GrannyMac

Quote from: Raven on December 30, 2023, 10:27:42 AMIt's the same near Perth, there's a village called Scone, pronounced Scoon and strangers say Scone like the cake. It gets a lot of visitors because of the palace and where the stone of destiny stood for the kings of Scotland.
Aah, but how do they pronounce the cake?  I guess your version of scone, like mine, rhymes with gone, but most folk round here say it to rhyme with cone.  :boo:
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Ashy

Quote from: JBR on December 30, 2023, 11:50:26 AMWe Yorkies pronounce it correctly: "Lee". 
Lankies are a bit thick and they don't know how to speak properly!
That's LAY !

JBR

Quote from: GrannyMac on December 30, 2023, 04:17:27 PMAah, but how do they pronounce the cake?  I guess your version of scone, like mine, rhymes with gone, but most folk round here say it to rhyme with cone.  :boo:
Well I'm a Yorkie (in exile) and I've always pronounced it as 'sconn'.

Raven

Quote from: GrannyMac on December 30, 2023, 04:17:27 PMAah, but how do they pronounce the cake?  I guess your version of scone, like mine, rhymes with gone, but most folk round here say it to rhyme with cone.  :boo:

It depends on where they come from  :smiley: I've heard a few different versions of it. Usually I know right away where they're talking about.  :smiley:

Scrumpy

Scon
Don't ask me.. I know nuffink..

dextrous63

Those without scones shouldn't throw stones.

Alex

GrannyMac

Thats a result! Nearly everyone here in Yorkshire says scone to rhyme with cone.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

Quote from: GrannyMac on December 30, 2023, 10:45:14 PMThats a result! Nearly everyone here in Yorkshire says scone to rhyme with cone.

That's posh GM  :grin:  :grin:

JBR

Quote from: Alex on December 30, 2023, 11:21:35 PMThat's posh GM  :grin:  :grin:
It is unnaturally posh, especially as the Yorkshire I knew was down to earth, call a spade a spade, and call a scone as sconn.

I can only assume that GrannyMac moves in the wrong sort of circles.  Harrogate, perhaps!