Changing language?

Started by klondike, December 29, 2023, 10:19:36 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

Or is it just me. Just thought of this when repying to a post.

I'm pretty much certain we were taught to use different FROM in primary school English. Anyway it's what I always say. Now all I hear, on TV at least, is different TO which I suspect is an Americanism. 

We do say similar TO (probably someting else I was taught but don't recall) and our colonial cousins do seem to like simplifications such as honor and color which of course we can't detect when spoken from our English words. Playing Wordle Quordle and Octurdle I'm getting used to using incorrect spellings now as they are set in American rather than English.

Alex

Different from for me too. 

'He should of gone'  this annoys me intensely   :rolleyes:   

Ashy

It's on the basis that one thing cannot differ to another. However in America anything goes.

GrannyMac

Quote from: Alex on December 29, 2023, 01:33:35 PMDifferent from for me too. 

'He should of gone'  this annoys me intensely  :rolleyes: 
And for me, and 'should of' annoys me beyond reason!

And American spellings in Wordle.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

JBR

I agree about differ.
Something can differ FROM something else.   It can't differ TO something.

Also 'should of' grates with me.  I suppose it stems from 'should 'ave' said quickly.
A missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Cassandra

Quote from: Ashy on December 29, 2023, 02:53:18 PMIt's on the basis that one thing cannot differ to another. However in America anything goes.

Biden proves it ...
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

Ruthio

Yep ~  Different FROM  and  Compared WITH 

I remember having these drummed into me at school!!

klondike

No drumming of anything these days I fear. They have more years to teach them and achieve less in the basics.

I guess listing off every currently recognised gender now is a pretty tough addition to the curriculum. That was much easier in my day.

Raven

Quote from: klondike on December 29, 2023, 06:18:40 PMNo drumming of anything these days I fear. They have more years to teach them and achieve less in the basics.

I guess listing off every currently recognised gender now is a pretty tough addition to the curriculum. That was much easier in my day.

Strange when bodies are found they are always only either male or female, not any of the multitude in between.  :waiting:

JBR

Quote from: klondike on December 29, 2023, 06:18:40 PMNo drumming of anything these days I fear. They have more years to teach them and achieve less in the basics.

I fully agree.
Apologies for drifting off topic slightly, but I believe that is certainly the case.

Certainly in primary education, the important subjects to teach young people under the age of ten or eleven in my opinion has to be those things which they really need to have a very good command of include:
English spelling and writing, basic number work (certainly the four basic operations), command of clear speech, and perhaps encouragement in general physical education.

In secondary education, a more widespread number of subjects would be more beneficial, but without those I listed at primary level, the ability to learn the other subject areas would be limited.

Just my own opinion, of course, and I accept that others may have different ideas for preference.

December 29, 2023, 07:06:32 PM
Quote from: Raven on December 29, 2023, 06:57:10 PMStrange when bodies are found they are always only either male or female, not any of the multitude in between.  :waiting:
Indeed they are.
Interestingly, the so-called multitude of options never existed before around the 1970s!

dextrous63

Quote from: klondike on December 29, 2023, 06:18:40 PMI guess listing off every currently recognised gender now is a pretty tough addition to the curriculum. That was much easier in my day.
It's the modern woke equivalent of declining Latin verbs..😬🤭

Diasi

Quote from: klondike on December 29, 2023, 10:19:36 AMWe do say similar TO (probably something else I was taught but don't recall) and our colonial cousins do seem to like simplifications such as honor and color which of course we can't detect when spoken from our English words.
I seem to recall reading that honor & color were the original spellings in the British Isles but we changed our spellings to honour & colour, along with all the other American spellings, to differentiate ourselves from the Yanks.
Make every day count, each day is precious.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal".  (Cassandra)
[email protected]

JBR

Quote from: Diasi on December 29, 2023, 07:55:42 PMI seem to recall reading that honor & color were the original spellings in the British Isles but we changed our spellings to honour & colour, along with all the other American spellings, to differentiate ourselves from the Yanks.
Now that just isn't true.

We speak and write the original English language, although it has developed a little since those days.
The Americans spell differently from us simply because they can't spell.

klondike

They differ because some yank called Webster produced a dictionary for them. It would have been fine but he couldn't spell.

Ashy

It's a different dialect. Two countries divided by a common language.