Voi scooter consultation

Started by klondike, December 25, 2023, 10:13:53 AM

« previous - next »

klondike

I only found out about this by accident. It doesn't seem that they want too many responses and from the wording are hoping for some positive ones. This was the PDF I got back from them of my submission much of which was multi choice and ends with a bunch of woke BS questions which I ignored once I noticed after the first.

Response ID ANON-6B7T-FWGG-E
Submitted to Tell us about your views on Public Rental e-scooters and e-bikes
Submitted on 2023-12-24 18:55:16
About e-scooters and e-bikes
1 How much, if anything, would you say you know about public rental electric scooters and bikes?
A fair amount
More about e-scooters and e-bikes
2 Do you use a public rental e-scooter in Northampton and or Moulton?
No
What prevents your use of the e-scooter/e-bike
9 What reasons prevent you from using the public rental e-scooter scheme in Northampton and Moulton?
Safety concerns
Other - please give detail here:
Your feelings about the e-scooter/ e-bike
10 What do you think are the advantages, if any, of electric scooters/ e bikes?
Other (please give detail below)
Other please detail here:
I see no advantages.
11 If you would like to tell us why you answered the previous question in the way that you did, please do so here:
Comment here:
People ride these things irresponsibly on both pavements and roads. They are a menace to pedestrians. The riders often appear to be underage and they
are often ridden two up. I pulled this from my CCTV a long time ago
it is hardly an unusual incident and similar can often
be seen. In addition to the legal scooters which I assume are insured there are many illegal ones in use. If there were no legal scooters the police could at
least clamp down on use of the illegal ones,
12 What do you think are the issues, if any, with e-scooters/ e-bikes?
What do you think are the issues, if any, with e scooters?:
The roads are too dangerous for their use so riders use them on the pavements.
They have encouraged people to buy their own illegal and doubtless uninsured scooters. These are not only unregulated but not policed either. Not that
the Voi ones are of course.
My neighbour was so incensed after his wife was nearly knocked down by one that he put up a camera and reported large numbers (over 600 I believe) of
instances of them being ridden illegally outside our houses to Voi who so far as I am aware do nothing about such reports.
These were trialled in Paris and a referendum after the trial convincinly voted for them to be banned.
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/car-industry-news/2023/04/05/e-scooters-banned-in-paris-poll-suggests-uk-motorists-also-want-ban
I cannot believe that the people in Northamptonshire will have any more favourable view of them. Other than those using them of course.
They are often either simply tossed down across the pavements or possibly vandals or drunks push them over.
13 How familiar are you with the following restrictions for using public rental e-scooters?
Awareness of restrictions - One user per e-scooter:
Very familiar
Awareness of restrictions - Do not ride on the footpath/footway:
Very familiar
Awareness of restrictions - Must be 18 or over:
Very familiar
Awareness of restrictions - Must have a full or provisional driving licence:
Very familiar
Awareness of restrictions - Only park within designated parking areas:
Very familiar
Awareness of restrictions - Must follow all road traffic regulations and the highway code:
Very familiar
Awareness of restrictions - No ride zones:
Very familiar
Awareness of restrictions - Slow zones:
Not at all familiar
Other improvements or suggestions
14 If you have any other improvements or suggestions that have not been covered within this questionnaire, please specify here:
Improvements:
Ban the things.
Suggestions:
As soon as humanly possible
Information about you - optional questions
15 Are you:
Male
Other, please state:
16 How old are you?
Not Answered
17 Do you have a disability?
Not Answered
18 If 'Yes', please tick the appropriate box(es) which best describes your disability?
19 How would you describe your ethnic origin?
Please select your answer::
Any other ethnic group (please state):
20 What is your religion or belief?
Not Answered
Any other religion (please state):
21 Is your gender identity the same as the sex you were registered with at birth?
Not Answered
22 If you are 16 or over which of the following options best describes how you think of yourself?
Not Answered
23 Are you currently pregnant or have you had a baby in the last 6 months?
Not Answered
24 What would you describe your marital status as?
Not Answered

dextrous63

Quite right.

The unregulated market place has also brought up the issue of dodgy batteries/chargers which have a tendency to overheat and explode/ignite and which cannot easily be extinguished.  Not great at the best of times, but potentially fatal if left charging overnight indoors.

Second, roads and cycle lanes in the UK are simply not of sufficient standard for the size of wheels that e-scooters use.

Ashy

If you were talking to the council you might as well talk to a brick wall. You'll get more sense out of it.

dextrous63

Doesn't matter anyway.  The decision has already been made and this is just paying lip service towards a "consultation".

klondike

Current trial ends April 2024. They just extended the previous one. I'm pretty sure we are stuck with them.

Alex

dextrous63

Yep.  Expect major roadworks making parking and driving a permanent nightmare, and purpose built cycle lanes for the three cyclists a day to have a clear run at.

They've already decided (probably before starting the whole process) that scooters are a no go, but will make it sound like they've compromised and that the e-bikes will happen. 

GrannyMac

Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

klondike

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/calls-suspend-controversial-voi-e-135856149.html

Since the scheme began, two people have died in West Northants due to incidents involving the scooters, and others have suffered injuries. Nationally, reported crashes and casualties involving e-scooters have risen each year across the 30 areas where the trials are taking place.
Other concerns that the opposition raised were the policing of underage and drink-driver users, poor parking of e-scooters on public pathways, and the effectiveness of Voi's complaints procedure and their ability to identify who is riding their scooters at any given time. Voi was previously fined £726 after failing to hand over information to Northamptonshire Police in January 2023.
Councillor Phil Larratt, cabinet member for environment, transport, highways and waste, said: "I do feel that there's a lot of merit in what has been said tonight, but I think it's a very difficult matter. There's obviously something fundamentally wrong. Let's have scrutiny look at it and see how this goes forward."

I suspect cash stuffed brown envelopes may be involved.

klondike

Quote from: Alex on December 25, 2023, 02:39:07 PMI'd like a go on one !  :x10:

How much does it cost to use Voi?
Voi rental e-scooters cost £0.99 to unlock and then 16p per minute of usage. 
Alternatively, you can buy a day pass for £10 (for a maximum of 120 minutes) or a month pass, which costs £35 for 300 minutes or £54.99 for 750 minutes. 

They are cheaper than a taxi but don't come all that cheap.

Alex

You know sometimes you can read stuff too quickly?  I just read the above as Councillor Pratt.......just saying :x1:

Ashy