BBC Sports Personality of the Year

Started by Alex, December 20, 2023, 07:41:44 AM

« previous - next »

Alex

Is England Women's goalkeeper Mary Earps,.,............. No neither have I  :x14:

klondike

Rather more surprising than me having no clue  :x2:

GrannyMac

Or me.  One of the most successful UK sports people is Ronnie O'Sullivan. Even people who don't follow snooker will have heard of him.  In 1993 he was the youngest UK champion, in 2023, he became the oldest UK champion.  He's won 40 titles, and he doesn't get nominated.

I'm not a big snooker fan, but I know about him.  Never heard of the female goalie.

Stuart Broad, Frankie Dettori, Katarina Johnson Thompson, Rory McIlroy - heard of all of them too.
Its not how old you are, but how you are old. 💖

Alex

England cricketer Stuart Broad, who helped secure a draw with Australia in this year's Ashes series, came second, Ronnie O'Sullivan came 3rd.  It's scraping the barrel a bit when the best we can find is a woman's footie goalkeeper who saved a penalty !  Last year it was won by a female footballer too, obviously this year the BBC failed to find a black female to give the award to.  Oh well, soon be Christmas  :santa:

GrannyMac

Alex

Sorry GM I must have misread that, he was having a moan in the Daily Mirror.

Cassandra

What a sad state this stupid presentation has floundered too. A man who took 604 Test Wickets over a 15 year career finishes second to a sub standard woman goal-keeper in a minority Sport! :yell:
My little Dog - A heartbeat at my feet ...

1955vintage

The black bird came third, behind the white, hetro-sexual man, so questions must be asked.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

GrannyMac

Daley Thomson, Jessica Ennis, Katerina Johnson-Thompson.  He was the greatest decathlete ever, 🏆 and he won SPOTY.  His mum came from my hometown in Scotland.  Jess Ennis's mum, Olympic champion heptathlete 🥇 is from Sheffield. The 'black bird', double world and Commonwealth heptathlete champion, also has a white, English mother.

All UK born and bred, all brought up by a white parent, yet skin colour just has to get a mention. 

Pleased for Kenny Dalglish, Lifetime Achievement Award.

1955vintage

Nor should it. Merit on the playing field should be the only factor.

Which is why 'Erpees or whatever her name is should never have featured. As much as I dislike Joey Barton (what a loser) , he was right. She has won nothing , while world champions were not shortlisted.
The problem with being retired is that you never get a day off

dextrous63

Given the BBC's way of thinking when it revamped Question of Sport, I'm surprised Paddy McGuinness didn't win.

GrannyMac

I agree.  We used to like that programme when it was mainly sportspeople. Ian Botham, Bill Beaumont etc.

dextrous63

Ooh.  I feel a challenge coming on.  Name the regulars from yesteryear.  

Emlyn Hughes.

Alex

GrannyMac